Converting 6.5 apps to wm7 RRS feed

• Question

• Need a little advise here.  I've got a handfull of 6.5 apps i want to convert to wm7.  However I wrote the apps in VB and from what I've read VB is not an available language in Visual Studio 2010.

I've used C++ many years ago but very rusty so what language should I use to rewrite these? CPP, C#???

Thanks

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Rjl66,

See below thread, there is no backwards compatibility for Windows Phone 7.

thread

However you can port your application in this case you have to use available language in WP7.

Hope it helps.

If you find my post is helpful for you then mark as a answer.
    • Marked as answer by Rjl66 Wednesday, September 1, 2010 11:53 AM
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:43 PM
  • The Windows Phone tools currently only support the use of C# and as WmDev mentions there is no compatibility with Windows Mobile. If you have business logic in VB and wanted to reuse it if you've properly separated concerns you may be able to recompile that code as a Silverlight 3 project (for Silverlight 3) and then use that DLL in the Windows Phone tools. You would still end up needing to write some C# code but not as much. 

If your business logic and UI code aren't separated then you could be looking at a total rewrite. 

Joel Ivory Johnson | http://www.j2i.net | Device Application Development MVP
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Rjl66,

See below thread, there is no backwards compatibility for Windows Phone 7.

thread

However you can port your application in this case you have to use available language in WP7.

Hope it helps.

If you find my post is helpful for you then mark as a answer.
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:43 PM
  • The Windows Phone tools currently only support the use of C# and as WmDev mentions there is no compatibility with Windows Mobile. If you have business logic in VB and wanted to reuse it if you've properly separated concerns you may be able to recompile that code as a Silverlight 3 project (for Silverlight 3) and then use that DLL in the Windows Phone tools. You would still end up needing to write some C# code but not as much. 

If your business logic and UI code aren't separated then you could be looking at a total rewrite. 

Joel Ivory Johnson | http://www.j2i.net | Device Application Development MVP
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:18 PM
  • Thanks Guys!      

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 11:53 AM