Cannot install WDP to my 4 SSD RAID0 array

Question

• What am I doing wrong ? I can install Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64 with no problems to this array. Thanks for your time.

Steve

Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:41 PM

Answers

• Steve,

I'm assuming you're installing by booting to media as opposed to a down-level install from within another OS. When you start the installation, right after you accept the license terms, choose Custom (advanced) and verify that your disk shows up.  If it does not, hit the Load Driver link and browse to the disk driver.  Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Gary

I've been trying to install it from within Windows 7 x64 initially. As I said, everything goes perfectly until after the first reboot. Then, I get the blue BSOD that says " INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE". I have gone into the BIOS and made sure that my RAID0 array is the ONLY device to boot from. I am using an external USB DVD drive to install WDP with.

I've been able to install WDP to a single SSD or a single SATA II hard drive. I'll wait for your advice, thanks.

I solved my problem.

Step 1: Go into BIOS and put RAID0 array as FIRST in boot options, then the USB DVD drive as second as a boot option

Step 2: Boot up PC, hit boot options in BIOS, start installation from USB DVD drive

Step 3: I chose the Custom option, installed WDP over my existing Windows 7 x64 installation because I had no need to save anything.

Step 4: PC rebooted, everything goes perfectly, WDP is installed.

I still don't understand why I could not install WDP from within Windows 7 x64 but it's academic at this point. Thank you again for your help.

Steve

• Edited by steve2470 Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:07 PM had incorrect word
    • Marked as answer by steve2470 Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:08 PM
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:04 PM

All replies

• Steve,

Can you supply more details?  Where exatly is the installation failing?  Any error messages to share?

Thanks,

Gary
    Friday, October 14, 2011 12:51 AM
    Answerer
  • Steve,

Can you supply more details?  Where exatly is the installation failing?  Any error messages to share?

Thanks,

Gary

I'm using OCZ Vertex II SSD's in a RAID0 array, 4 of them. The installation goes fine until after a reboot, when I get the error message "cannot find boot device", something like that. The installation never asks me for any RAID or SCSI drivers but I have them, of course.

Friday, October 14, 2011 2:33 AM
  • Steve, if you are installing from a USB stick, can you check to see if you have a USB device listed as a boot device HIGHER than your SSD drives? If so, change it to occur afterwards. I know it sounds lame, but you want the USB device to boot after your SSD. Next, when the BIOS is starting up, hit the key to allow you to select the boot device and select the USB device to install the OS (if you are using this method).

I read in another forum that users were unable to install if their boot device for USB was higher in the priority than the drive they were installing the OS to.

=-Chris

Friday, October 14, 2011 2:49 AM
  • Steve,

I'm assuming you're installing by booting to media as opposed to a down-level install from within another OS. When you start the installation, right after you accept the license terms, choose Custom (advanced) and verify that your disk shows up.  If it does not, hit the Load Driver link and browse to the disk driver.  Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Gary
    Friday, October 14, 2011 2:55 AM
    Answerer
  • Steve,

Thanks,

Gary

I've been trying to install it from within Windows 7 x64 initially. As I said, everything goes perfectly until after the first reboot. Then, I get the blue BSOD that says " INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE". I have gone into the BIOS and made sure that my RAID0 array is the ONLY device to boot from. I am using an external USB DVD drive to install WDP with.

I've been able to install WDP to a single SSD or a single SATA II hard drive. I'll wait for your advice, thanks.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 6:18 AM
  • Steve,

Thanks,

Gary

I solved my problem.

Step 1: Go into BIOS and put RAID0 array as FIRST in boot options, then the USB DVD drive as second as a boot option

Step 2: Boot up PC, hit boot options in BIOS, start installation from USB DVD drive

Step 3: I chose the Custom option, installed WDP over my existing Windows 7 x64 installation because I had no need to save anything.

Step 4: PC rebooted, everything goes perfectly, WDP is installed.

I still don't understand why I could not install WDP from within Windows 7 x64 but it's academic at this point. Thank you again for your help.

Steve

• Edited by steve2470 Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:07 PM had incorrect word
    • Marked as answer by steve2470 Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:08 PM
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:04 PM