Design Beta 2 now available for download RRS feed

• General discussion

• Design 2 Beta has just been released! This time, however, there is no separate Design download. All of the Suite components are available as a single download. During the installation process you can choose which programs you wish to install. There is no need to uninstall your previous installation of Design. Design versions 1 and 2 will coexist nicely. Follow the links from the download page.

The main focus in this release is image slicing. I'm sure you're going to love this feature, which was implemented in response to many requests. To help you get started with image slicing, I've posted a Slicing Images in Expression Design 2 tutorial on the Expression team blog.

Below I have outlined a number of other features that were added in response to user feedback. We appreciate the time you've taken to make suggestions for improvements to Design and I hope you'll enjoy all the new features.

1. Toggle the visibility of objects within a layer.

2. Open Illustrator files with layers intact. Layers are intact with Illustrator import as well.

3. Much improved clipping path output.

4. Live Effects are no longer confined to the artboard (the area within the document frame).

5. Double clicking on Hand or Zoom tool zooms to Actual Pixels.

6. Actual Pixels and 100% zoom level are now the same.

7. Added 1024x768 in New Document presets.

8. Center point snapping support (partial).

9. Gradient tool is now top tool in tool group instead of the Fill Transform tool.

I'm sure as you start working with Design 2 you'll notice other improvements as well. You'll notice that the function bar at the top of the Properties pane has been removed to make room for the panels.

As always, we're anxious to hear your opinions, suggestions and bug finds. Your feedback is valuable to us.

Annie
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 5:37 PM

All replies

• Annie
    I installed
    just did some early tryings
    nice we have now the eyes on each object layer
    opened some ai files from school en saved them as design files the layers at first sight seem ok
    I tried some to export as a png file but there I found it gave problems
    ok just started to try must do some more trials on another day
    late here
    greetings

added today 6 3 2008
    I did some more trying with the file on exporting to png and this time I was able to export I played with the different posibilities
    • Edited by germaine1 Thursday, March 6, 2008 10:44 AM added some text
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 1:18 AM
  • FYI: I had Blend 2 installed and was asked to uninstall before the ED2.0 install would proceed.

Took a while to download and install but seems to work ok. Looking forward to seeing what has been done on the xaml side.
    steve
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 10:21 AM
  • Steve,

I was asked to remove the September Blend build which, I guess, was still in beta. I was surprised the September build still worked anyway.

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions of the new features, particularly the slice feature.

Germaine, what problems were you having with .png export?
    Annie
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 2:49 PM
  • Annie I send you the file to your e mail adress in a few moments
    it took me some time to get here
    I thought they were reordering the forum
    I must need some new glasses I guess
    I printed the slicing tutorial

greetings
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 7:21 PM
  • Hi Annie,

as we spoke via mail then I think I answered your question.

steve
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 7:26 PM
  • Yes, I appreciate your feedback, Steve.

I had the same problem with the forums too, Germaine. I saw sections from TechNet or other things that shouldn't be here so I assumed they were working on the forums and something got messed up.

I'll look for your email, Germaine.

Annie
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 7:31 PM
  • done
    the mail must be in between or already arrived
    Annie let me know if you didn t receive it
    can you let me know how it is working for you
    greetings
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 8:05 PM
  • I received your files, Germaine. Thank you for sending them.

The bug I see is that the transparent and non-transparent areas in the preview are reversed. I reported that bug about a month ago and although it has been marked as fixed, it is still backwards for me. I will resubmit the bug.

Thank you, Germaine!
    Annie
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Annie

the latest tryings I did was setting the lower left zoom level in the export window to 100 per cent instead of scale to fit then the picture showed up
    I am a bit at lost with the new method maybe it is a question of get used
    greetings
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 9:24 PM
  • First impression: it seems a lot faster than previous ED.

Looking good!
    Friday, March 7, 2008 12:53 AM
  • Annie
    I continued and making the settings to 100 per cent seems to work well also in the slice panel box in the workspace were I saw the same problem
    I see a possibility to snap to pixels now
    greetings
    Friday, March 7, 2008 11:52 AM