"ShowDetail" doesnot work correctly for YTD value RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Friends,

I build an easy report of YTD and Prior YTD values. As the native feature, you can drilldown the numbers to see the fact raw data by clicking "ShowDetail".

Howevery, if I click 17 in the dashboard, the detail sheet soemtimes shows me more data sometime less when i click the other one. What i am saying the rowCount is NOT aligned with the detail data.

Anyone has any clue on this?

Derek

Thursday, May 24, 2012 11:20 PM

Answers

• The problem here is that "show detail" works off the current context, but it cannot "look inside" complex calculations (like YTD and Prior YTD).

So if you have a pivot table showing data for Oct 2013, when you click on the YTD for USA and say "show detail" PowerPivot will return all the records for USA and Oct 2013. It will not attempt to deconstruct the YTD formula and try to figure out which rows were referenced by the formula, it only pulls the detail that relates to the current context.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

• Marked as answer by Derek Dai Monday, November 4, 2013 6:07 AM
    Monday, November 4, 2013 5:18 AM

All replies

• Anybody has any clue on this?

Derek

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Derek,

Is this still an issue?

Thank you!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, November 4, 2013 12:48 AM
  • yes.

Derek

Monday, November 4, 2013 1:22 AM
  • The problem here is that "show detail" works off the current context, but it cannot "look inside" complex calculations (like YTD and Prior YTD).

So if you have a pivot table showing data for Oct 2013, when you click on the YTD for USA and say "show detail" PowerPivot will return all the records for USA and Oct 2013. It will not attempt to deconstruct the YTD formula and try to figure out which rows were referenced by the formula, it only pulls the detail that relates to the current context.

• Marked as answer by Derek Dai Monday, November 4, 2013 6:07 AM
    Monday, November 4, 2013 5:18 AM
  • Fair enough.

Should post this msg to SQL Connect. Expecting this feature. Maybe, I should give a shot on PPS. It may work?

Derek

Monday, November 4, 2013 6:08 AM
  • PPS will behave the same as it is just calling the same drillthrough action.

It's worth raising on connect. If you search you may already find requests around adding drillthrough support for calculated measures. Even adding the ability to customise filters for drillthrough would be a step in the right direction. 

If you post a link to the connect item back to this thread then anyone else that comes across this thread can add their vote.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:56 PM