The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Virtual Machines!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Azure VM extension RRS feed

• Question

• I have created specialized VM using on-premise uploaded VHD and VM shows in running state however I cannot RDP into VM. 

Output of :- Get-AzureRmVMExtension  -ResourceGroupName RG4 -VMName VM1 -Name BGInfo

ResourceGroupName       : RG4
    VMName                  : VM1
    Name                    : BGInfo
    Location                : westus
    Etag                    : null
    Publisher               : Microsoft.Compute
    ExtensionType           : BGInfo
    TypeHandlerVersion      : 2.1
    Id                      : /XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/RG4/providers/Microsoft.Co
                              mpute/virtualMachines/VM1/extensions/BGInfo
    PublicSettings          :
    ProtectedSettings       :
    ProvisioningState       : Creating
    Statuses                :
    SubStatuses             :
    AutoUpgradeMinorVersion : True
    ForceUpdateTag          :

Further after sometime the output is:

PS C:\Users\Admin> Get-AzureRmVMExtension  -ResourceGroupName RG4 -VMName VM1 -Name BGInfo

ResourceGroupName       : RG4
    VMName                  : VM1
    Name                    : BGInfo
    Location                : westus
    Etag                    : null
    Publisher               : Microsoft.Compute
    ExtensionType           : BGInfo
    TypeHandlerVersion      : 2.1
    Id                      : /subscriptions/64xxxc3-xxxxx-4c1f-8fxx1-dxxxxx5eee/resourceGroups/RG4/providers/Microsoft.Co
                              mpute/virtualMachines/VM1/extensions/BGInfo
    PublicSettings          :
    ProtectedSettings       :
    ProvisioningState       : Failed
    Statuses                :
    SubStatuses             :
    AutoUpgradeMinorVersion : True
    ForceUpdateTag          :

Any suggestions would really appreciated.

Please Note: I have followed all steps mentioned in https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-windows-troubleshoot-rdp-connection/#fix-common-remote-desktop-errors

Saturday, August 13, 2016 7:34 AM

Answers

• Thank you all. I have managed to resolve this issue. Problem was with the RDP Services and Port 3389. I had uploaded VHD without enabling RDP Services and Firewall Exception, hence it was not letting me RDP to VM. Although, I was getting error "ProvisioningState       : Failed'  VM was in running state but it was not letting me in using RDP hence I focussed on RDP and finally resolved with enabling RDP Services and opening ports on Windows Firewall.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 10:02 AM

All replies

• Hello Arsalaan,

Thank you for posting here!

For clarification, I would like to know the following:

Which version of Windows vhd have you uploaded?

Have you followed the steps outlined here for preparing the vhd? This documentation shows how to generalize the Windows virtual machine.

From the error 'ProvisioningState:Failed' it appears that the VM has not completed provisioning. If you haven’t tried this already, kindly check this to better understand the status of the VM. Enable a screenshot of the VM:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/blog/boot-diagnostics-for-virtual-machines-v2/

Regards,
    Ajay

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kindly click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread and also ‘Vote as Helpful’

Saturday, August 13, 2016 6:44 PM
  • I have used Specialized VHD and I have used GitHUb article to deploy speacialized VHD.

Anything else that I can do here to rectify this issue

Sunday, August 14, 2016 4:48 AM
  • Hi,

You need to check the Windows Azure Agent log. The extensions are deployed by the Azure Agent. If the provision is failed, this log will be very helpful. (It is human readable and very easy to understand.) The default path of this log is C:\WindowsAzure\Logs\WaAppAgent

I've met a similar issue before which turns out that the IE enhanced security setting caused this issue. In my log, the file for the BGInfo extension can not be downloaded. After I disable the setting and a reboot, everything works properly.

Best Regards,

Steven Lee
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 15, 2016 10:27 AM
  • Thank you all. I have managed to resolve this issue. Problem was with the RDP Services and Port 3389. I had uploaded VHD without enabling RDP Services and Firewall Exception, hence it was not letting me RDP to VM. Although, I was getting error "ProvisioningState       : Failed'  VM was in running state but it was not letting me in using RDP hence I focussed on RDP and finally resolved with enabling RDP Services and opening ports on Windows Firewall.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 10:02 AM
  • Hello Arsalaan,

Thank you for reverting to let us know the steps that helped you resolve your issue! it is very much appreciated! This will certainly help users experiencing similar issue.

Regards,
    Ajay

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 4:00 PM