WinRT network code is pile of bugware.

Question

• I don't care what you say, but there is nothing that can convince me otherwise.

here's why.

I got an exception. Full backtrace of that exceptions goes inside OS components (e.g., nothing goes through my own code). Since whole chain of the events was initiated by the os code and had no interaction, I don't care, to me it's a bug in the OS code.

Next.

I would be complete retard if I tried to chew all that spaghetti-long names of internal functions (one of them is more than 800 characters long!), still I tried to be patient using horizontal scroll of VS ide to see for clues. Looks like some async read operation internally fired and ... then it went BOOM. The other clue is this cryptic message in debug output:

First-chance exception at 0x775A2EEC (KernelBase.dll) in BeamMeTo.exe: 0x40080201: WinRT originate error (parameters: 0x8000000E, 0x0000002C, 0x0ACEF2A0).

Wtf is that cryptography? Can't debugger/IDE decipher that mess automatically? Or at least fire up chrome with all these things in google's search query?..so that programmer wouldn't need to do that step manually?

All I was able to decipher was that 0x8000000E means this: A method was called at an unexpected time.

Oook.. so that's a bug in the OS code, because it calls something at unexpected time. Or is it me who called something at unexpected time?! How am I supposed to guess?

I was always c++ programmer from the start with more than 10 years of experience, but I always preferred C API interface. From the start I thought that Symbian is doomed to fail for the similar reason... but it's absolutely pale in comparison to WinRT. Only best tools (VS) and nice automatic integration of different languages (e.g. automatic binding of C#/C++ instead of manual JNI code in Android) and insane amount of resource that MS pours into make me doubt that it might actually not fail eventually.

So, is there a really good tutorial or library that does networking?

Saturday, January 18, 2014 4:32 AM

Answers

• Hi ppsmtl,

For some reason, when you transfer a wrong param to a function defined in os code, the exception is throwed by os code, not yours, but for this you couldn't say our code is dangerous. 

Of course, there may be some issues we haven't observed, so if you think it is a os code issue, please share with us your key code, so we could confirm it.

Regards!

Xiaoliang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, January 20, 2014 8:00 AM