none
Visual Studio 2013 stopped working

Question

• I have been using Visual Studio 2013 to write C++ for several years. Now, I suddenly got a "Visual Studio stopped working" message whenever I try to open any of my C++ projects. I noticed that this behavior started after installing Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition (the About info says it is update 2). The little window with the "Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 stopped working" message has 2 buttons: "Debug" and "Close program". If I click "Debug", another small windows appears with the following message: "An unhandled Microsoft .NET Framework exception occurred in devenv.exe [1468]". The number in [] changes every time the message is shown.

I will very much appreciate your help to solve this issue.

With respect,
    Jorge Maldonado

Best regards, JORGE MALDONADO

Monday, May 16, 2016 10:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Jorge,

As we know, the devenv commands are for avoiding the third-party components or add-ins that could affect VS running.

The .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool is used for checking if there is anything wrong with the .NET Framework, the result indicates they are ok, it is side by side with VS.

>>the only issue is when I try to open my C++ projects.

How about going to Control Panel to see if the C++ redistributable packages are install well, you may see the following screenshot:

If not, please install them.

Please also check if you have installed the Microsoft Foundation classes for C++:

By the way, have you applied to the VS 2013 Update 5?

If not, please download from the following link:
    https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/vs2013-update5-vs.aspx

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by JORGEMAL Thursday, September 01, 2016 11:30 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by JORGEMAL Thursday, September 01, 2016 11:30 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Jorge Maldonado ,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

>>An unhandled Microsoft .NET Framework exception occurred in devenv.exe [1468]

For this error message, firstly, please use .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool to check if the .NET Framework is ok. 

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

If you find there is anything wrong with .NET Framework, you may use Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool to do a repair, This tool detects and tries to fix some frequently occurring issues with the setup of Microsoft .NET Framework or with updates to the Microsoft .NET Framework.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Secondly, you could go to Control Panel >Programs >Programs and Features, select Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 and click on 'repair'.

If the error persists, then you may try to running devenv.exe /log <log path> in Command Prompt, the log files will be generated in the <log path>.

Then you can check and analyze the log file to see if there are anything incorrect.

Please upload the file to https://onedrive.live.com/  and share the link with us.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 3:14 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the information you provided.

I ran the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool and the following available products appeared:
    * .NET Framework 2.0 SP2
    * .NET Framework 3.0 SP2
    * .NET Framework 2.0 SP2
    * .NET Framework 4 Client
    * .NET Framework 4 Full
    * .NET Framework 4.5
    * .NET Framework 4.5.1
    * .NET Framework 4.5.2
    * .NET Framework 4.6

*.NET Framework 4.6.1

I verified each one and the "Product verification succeeded!" for all of them.
    Next, I ran the "Repair" option for Visual Studio 2013. At the end, my PC was restarted. I tried to load some C++ projects without success.
    Finally, I ran "devenv.exe /log <log path>". 

I will very much appreciate any help in order to get my projects running again.

Respectfully,
    Jorge Maldonado

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 11:33 PM
  • Hi Jorge,

I checked the log you offered, but there is no error information in the log. I suspect the VC++ install packages are missing or corrupted.

please go to Control Panel >Programs >Programs and Features, select Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 and click on 'repair'.

You could also restart Windows and in safe mode, run devenv /safemode in Visual Studio 2013 Command Prompt.

If in safe mode this issue disappeared, the cause should be third-party applications, services or Visual Studio Add-ins.
    Please also try devenv /resetsettings or devenv /setup in Command Prompt

Best Regards,

Thursday, May 19, 2016 7:52 AM
  • Hi Jorge,

Have you solved this issue successfully?

If so, please share us your solution and result here,

If not, please feel free to tell us and we will try to help you solve this.

Best Regards,

Thursday, May 26, 2016 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

I had not used C++ for some time but now I need to return to my projects.

According to your last post, I tried a repair without success.

Also, I ran Windows in Safe Mode and then try to launch VS2013 but it was not possible, it did not even ran. I get the "Visual Studio 2013 Stopped Working" message.

"You could also restart Windows and in safe mode, run devenv /safemode in Visual Studio 2013 Command Prompt."

What is Visual Studio Command Prompt? It is "View/Other Windows/Command Window"? If so then I cannot try this option because, as I told you before, VS2013 does not run in Windows Safe Mode.

"Please also try devenv /resetsettings or devenv /setup in Command Prompt"

If the above recommendation is on Windows Safe Mode, it will not run either.

I really need to fix this issue. I will very much appreciate your feedback.

P.D.:

I can successfully load and work with my ASP.NET Web Sites, the only issue is when I try to open my C++ projects.

I also ran the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool again and I got "Product verification succeded" results for all of them.

Respectfully,

Jorge Maldonado

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:21 AM
  • Hi Jorge,

As we know, the devenv commands are for avoiding the third-party components or add-ins that could affect VS running.

The .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool is used for checking if there is anything wrong with the .NET Framework, the result indicates they are ok, it is side by side with VS.

>>the only issue is when I try to open my C++ projects.

How about going to Control Panel to see if the C++ redistributable packages are install well, you may see the following screenshot:

If not, please install them.

Please also check if you have installed the Microsoft Foundation classes for C++:

By the way, have you applied to the VS 2013 Update 5?

If not, please download from the following link:
    https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/vs2013-update5-vs.aspx

Best Regards,

• Unmarked as answer by JORGEMAL Thursday, September 01, 2016 11:30 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:29 AM
  • Hello,

It seems that installing VS2013 Update 5 solved my issue. I have been
    opening and closing several C++ projects without trouble.
    I really appreciate your kind and fast responses. I will contact you again
    in case I face problems.

With respect,
    Jorge Maldonado

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 2:14 PM
  • Hi Gus,

Glad to hear you have had your issue resolved. And thanks for sharing us your result here.

Please feel free to tell us if you have any question.

If you think my reply is helpful, please mark my reply or your reply as the answer, it will benefit to other community members who have the same issue. It will be easier for them to search the solution.

Have a nice day:)

Best Regards,

Thursday, September 01, 2016 12:43 AM