Why can somebody jumps to .net core 3.0 if everything is good with .net core 2.2 RRS feed

• Question

• User283528319 posted

hi all,

I have several concerns about .net core 3.0 (like making my 2.2 project obsolete) what do you think about .net core 3.0, are you going to convert your 2.2 project to 3.0 and continue with it?

it is a complete un-known for me.

Friday, August 2, 2019 6:57 AM

Answers

• User1120430333 posted

Just becuase a new .NET .Framework is released does it mean that one should convert to it immediately. I would go  to 3.0 for a new project where 3.0 has some functionality I needed like using Windows Core desktop solutions. But just to take a solution that is working find with an existing version of a .NET Framework, I don't jump on the bandwagon for the sake of jumping oh the bandwagon. It would have to be something I felt was beneficial to the solution that was needed. At some point,  I would make the conversion, just not immediately and give the .NET Framework time to settle-down with  updates.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, August 2, 2019 9:30 AM
  • User-474980206 posted
    You should review .net core support. Core 2.2 is a “current” release and only be supported 3 months after the next current or LTS release (not preview). Core 3.1 is due in November and will be a LTS release and supported for 3 years. Every odd year there will new LTS release in November.

If you are not using an LTS release, you are expected to update to a new release within 3 months of its release. Once a release is out of support there will be no fixes or security patches.

There will probably not be a non preview core release before the LTS 3.1. This means you can wait until November and then have 3 months to upgrade.

See
    https://github.com/dotnet/core/blob/master/microsoft-support.md

Friday, August 2, 2019 3:04 PM

All replies

• User1120430333 posted

Just becuase a new .NET .Framework is released does it mean that one should convert to it immediately. I would go  to 3.0 for a new project where 3.0 has some functionality I needed like using Windows Core desktop solutions. But just to take a solution that is working find with an existing version of a .NET Framework, I don't jump on the bandwagon for the sake of jumping oh the bandwagon. It would have to be something I felt was beneficial to the solution that was needed. At some point,  I would make the conversion, just not immediately and give the .NET Framework time to settle-down with  updates.

Friday, August 2, 2019 9:30 AM
  • User283528319 posted

me too :)

Friday, August 2, 2019 12:13 PM
  • User-474980206 posted
    You should review .net core support. Core 2.2 is a “current” release and only be supported 3 months after the next current or LTS release (not preview). Core 3.1 is due in November and will be a LTS release and supported for 3 years. Every odd year there will new LTS release in November.

If you are not using an LTS release, you are expected to update to a new release within 3 months of its release. Once a release is out of support there will be no fixes or security patches.

There will probably not be a non preview core release before the LTS 3.1. This means you can wait until November and then have 3 months to upgrade.

See
    https://github.com/dotnet/core/blob/master/microsoft-support.md

Friday, August 2, 2019 3:04 PM