none
Hardware Watchdog API (Intel Watchdog Timer) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I am looking for a way to support the Intel ICH chipset TCO Watchdog Timer (WDT) from a user-space application on a legacy Windows XP system that is inaccessible and occasionally needs resetting from a hard hang (FYI it's at a radio station aerial site and delivers the audio stream to the transmitter over a VPN link).

I note that this is utterly trivial under Linux (via the iTCO_wdt.ko kernel driver and /dev/watchdog), but cannot find anything that provides support for the ICH WDT in Windows.

The hardware is well-known and documented in an Intel application note:

http://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/applnots/29227301.pdf

I came across a thread from last year on the Intel support forum where a WDT-SDK.ZIP download is mentioned that appears to contain both binary drivers and application API, but it's gone from Intel's website :(

https://communities.intel.com/message/266155

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24393&lang=eng&ProdId=3779  <- no longer exists :(

There are references to a device driver on many 'what is this file' website eg:

http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/Intel-Watchdog-Timer-Driver-Intel-WDT-11568-program.aspx

..but of course I cannot find any applicable download which may contain the driver for my system (Windows XP [32-bit] on an HP DX2420 - yes I know it's obsolete, I have very little choice here!)

Suggestions please? Right now I'm seriously considering trying to get the legacy software running under Wine.. or moving to a Linux version, but that's years of known behaviour and testing thrown away..

Phil.

Sunday, November 29, 2015 2:32 PM

All replies

• While waiting for more helpful answers - can you tell if the BIOS in this XP machine supports the WDT?

The pdf document says that some support in the BIOS is required. The answer of Intel rep on their forum suggests that, if you don't see the watchdog item in the BIOS setup, then the BIOS has no support for it.

The fact that the WDT "works" in Linux (on the same machine?) is not worth much, because Linux can deal with a lot more various hardware than a stock Windows OS,  by its hackable nature. But this comes without any warranty.

Also, the document says that the wdt can be disabled by software - so for good reliability you may consider an external watchdog instead.

-- pa

• Edited by Pavel A Sunday, November 29, 2015 3:29 PM
    Sunday, November 29, 2015 3:25 PM
  • Thanks Pavel,

Unfortunately I haven't got much opportunity to look at BIOS settings on the target system, as the machine is in use 24/7 for live radio, although similar HP machines bought at the same time (2009) and with the same BIOS do have appropriate settings, so I think it's likely. FYI Both my ThinkPad laptop and ASUS desktop machines at home support /dev/watchdog in Linux (I had fun making them reboot!), it seems pretty normal for ICH chipset BIOSes. I'll try and schedule some off air time and look at the target system soon.

My question is really about software support in Windows XP for this ICH chipset feature - where can I get it, is it built-in already? Why did Intel pull an SDK that might have been useful..?

You may be right that a separate hardware module might offer a solution, there are certainly some available it just seems a shame to buy stuff when the chipset can already so what I need :)

-P

Monday, November 30, 2015 7:12 PM
  • Good afternoon.
    Tell me, please, did anyone manage to find or write the OS boot watchdog timer driver?
    On the Internet there is information that such software exists, but I can not download it.
    Judging by the information previously existed some kind of demon for x64 platforms. Maybe someone left a copy of it?

I would be grateful for any help.

Any idea?

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 5:45 AM
  • Hi 3DPrinter.UA, I was unable to find any software to support the Intel WDT in Windows, and have now left the radio station so it's no longer my problem to solve. Sorry.

Phil.

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 9:57 AM