TFS Workitems Cleanup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

We are in process of Migrating TFS 2012 to TFS 2015.

We want to clean up the Old Work items Before Migrating to 2015

Can anyone Suggest what would be the best approach , Strategy and toolset to really Remove old workitems and their attachments.

example: for WIT's Older than 10.0

Thanks in Advance.

Ravi j

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Ravi j,

>But here i am looking if i want destroy all the workitems that are closed and are present in previous Sprints is there any ways i can do it with out specifying all the Workitem ID's.

For this target, you may create a query with filter to list all the workitems that are closed, then use a tool to help you delete them.

The tool in visual studio gallery in link below may be helpful for you. It is a Permanently Delete TFS Work Items Tool to remove one or more work items from the Team Foundation database for a team project collection.You can configure setting for confirmation about bulk delete or single delete or both.

Note that it only support flat query and must be inside "My Queries Folder". More details please go to the link.

https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/112a2055-4363-4a4e-a866-ea29bc6f2cbb

>Also i am looking for if i want to migrate workitems instead of manually i heard that there is a tool to copy all the Exisitng workitems to the Next Version of TFS. 

You may want this integration tool.

https://tfsintegration.codeplex.com/

May

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Sunday, November 29, 2015 7:25 AM

All replies

• if you've determine the work item id you want to cleanup you can call

witadmin destroywi /collection:CollectionURL /id:id [/noprompt]

to permanently remove the work item Remove work items permanently

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 7:11 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your Reply. 

I got that command to destroy a workitem from TFS.

But here i am looking if i want destroy all the workitems that are closed and are present in previous Sprints is there any ways i can do it with out specifying all the Workitem ID's.

Also i am looking for if i want to migrate workitems instead of manually i heard that there is a tool to copy all the Exisitng workitems to the Next Version of TFS. 

Thanks

Ravi j

Thursday, November 26, 2015 9:42 AM
  • Hi Ravi,

You have to specify workitem ID's to destroy from team project.

Or else when you migrate your TFS using backup and restore of databases automatically all the workitems will be migrated to newer version.

No need to manually copy the workitems from one version to another version.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Rajesh

Rajesh

Friday, November 27, 2015 5:42 AM
  • Hi Ravi j,

>But here i am looking if i want destroy all the workitems that are closed and are present in previous Sprints is there any ways i can do it with out specifying all the Workitem ID's.

For this target, you may create a query with filter to list all the workitems that are closed, then use a tool to help you delete them.

The tool in visual studio gallery in link below may be helpful for you. It is a Permanently Delete TFS Work Items Tool to remove one or more work items from the Team Foundation database for a team project collection.You can configure setting for confirmation about bulk delete or single delete or both.

Note that it only support flat query and must be inside "My Queries Folder". More details please go to the link.

https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/112a2055-4363-4a4e-a866-ea29bc6f2cbb

>Also i am looking for if i want to migrate workitems instead of manually i heard that there is a tool to copy all the Exisitng workitems to the Next Version of TFS. 

You may want this integration tool.

https://tfsintegration.codeplex.com/

May

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Sunday, November 29, 2015 7:25 AM