none
Error HRESULT E_FAIL while in Outlook 03 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user that keeps getting "Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned fro ma call to a COM component" while she is in Outlook 2003.  She states it usually pops up when she is attempting to respond to an email.  I've searched through a multitude of forums attempting to resolve this but I'm unable to find the exact fix for this error in Outlook.  No code is being written, she is just trying to respond to emails.  Thank you in advance.
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:21 PM

All replies

• Hello Ramizand,

given the information content of the error you are unlikely to find an answer based on it. Ever.

"HRESULT" means it's a COM error
    "E_FAIL" means it's an unspecified error

this is the default return for an error the developers didn't catch specifically. So unless you have any coroborating error measurements, messages or logs, there ought to be little to no help we can provide remotely (unless one of us is either a precog or somehow lucks out on a guess).

So the best advice I know to give is to try applying all available official updates. If that didn't work: Reinstall.
    Your user did reboot her computer in the last year or two, did she? (Not entirely a joke - I once saw a workstation which had been in operation for 874 continual days)

Hope that helped,
    Fred

P.s.: Maybe it's a divine sign, saying: "time for a version update" ;)

• Edited by FWN Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:06 PM
    • Proposed as answer by FWN Thursday, August 15, 2013 11:12 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:03 PM