none
ADODB Stream RRS feed

• Question

• For one of our clients we are building an (internal) web application and are using ActiveX in IE11 to create some temp files.

Now on my development machine the solution I have built works fine. 64-bit Windows 7 - IE11 - .NET Framework 4.7.1 However on our production machines, the ADODB.Stream Object can't be created. 32-bit Windows 7 - IE11 - .NET Framework 4.6.0

Assume that the IE11 Safety settings are correctly configured, as they are the same as on the development environment.

When I install .NET Framework 4.7.1 on one of the production machines the ADODB.Stream object can suddenly be created without problems. Unfortunately it is not an option to roll out an update to the .NET Framework on all of the production machines because of other dependancies.

I am wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a certain specific part of that Framework that we could manually install on our production environment to fix this issue. Is there a DLL file we could manually install somewhere, or is there something else I am missing?

try {
      outStream = new ActiveXObject('ADODB.Stream');
      outStream.Type = 2;
      outStream.CharSet = 'iso-8859-1';
      outStream.Open();
      outStream.WriteText(content);
      outStream.SaveToFile(tmpFilePath, 2);
      outStream.Close();
    }
    catch (e) {
      alert("An error occurred trying to create tempfile: " + e.description);
    }

If not is there an alternative to the ADODB.Stream object that can write binary files to the filesystem. The FileSystem doesn't seem to be able to.

So to recap: What is the least amount of software or files we need installed on our production environment to make sure the ADODB Stream object will work without having to upgrade the .NET Framework version.

Any help would be appreciated at this point.

Friday, February 9, 2018 2:57 PM

All replies

• Hi friend,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, it seems your issue is about the ActiveX development. Since our forum is to discuss the .NET Framework installation issue, I will help you move this thread to this forum to seek for a more suitable forum, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, February 12, 2018 10:11 AM
  • Since you are creating an instance of the ActiveX component from client-side script I suspect that the security settings for the browser are not configured for using potentially unsafe components. I would double-check those security settings. 

BTW, you may also want to check the Windows Event Log to see if you can get a bit more information on the error.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 1:16 PM