sharepoint designer controls not loading RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I just installed Sharepoint Designer 2007 on a machine with WSS 3
    I don't get any Sharepoint tools, it says "Controls in this category require a website running sharepoint services (version 3)"
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    • Moved by Clayton Cobb Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:45 AM 2007 question (From:SharePoint 2010 - Using SharePoint Designer, Infopath, and other customization)
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 2:47 AM

Answers

• I moved it - you don't re-post.  That just causes duplicates.

So, you installed SPD07 directly onto the same server where WSS 3.0 is installed.  You then opened SPD and clicked File > Open Site and pasted in the URL to your content site, right?  It opened fine and showed all of the content on that site, but then you got that message/error, or was it at a different place or time?  You didn't specify when and where you got that message about "controls."

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force

• Marked as answer by mickp2 Wednesday, February 9, 2011 9:39 AM
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 5:57 AM

All replies

• This is the 2010 forum.  SharePoint Designer 2007 cannot be used with SharePoint 2010 nor can SPD2010 be used with WSS 3.0.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:22 AM
  • what would be the best place to ask the question, I've tried experts exchange. It doesn't seem that there's any place to ask the question?

I don't want to pay $5,000 to get 2010 until I've researched 2007.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:43 AM
  • You would ask in the 2007 forum...

$5000 to get 2010?  I'm not sure of many instances where you pay just $5000.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:44 AM
  • I moved it - you don't re-post.  That just causes duplicates.

So, you installed SPD07 directly onto the same server where WSS 3.0 is installed.  You then opened SPD and clicked File > Open Site and pasted in the URL to your content site, right?  It opened fine and showed all of the content on that site, but then you got that message/error, or was it at a different place or time?  You didn't specify when and where you got that message about "controls."

• Marked as answer by mickp2 Wednesday, February 9, 2011 9:39 AM
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 5:57 AM
  • I don't know how to find my content site, I used http://host but I don't know where the files are.

I searched through IIS and couldn't find the location that way either.

Sorry, but I'm a newbie at sharepoint.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 9:25 AM
  • "I don't know how to find my content site, I used http://host but I don't know where the files are."

Well, how are you browsing to your site?  You have to know where you content is...or do you not even have a site yet?  You need to put in the URL to the web application you created.  Didn't you install and configure the farm?  When you do that, one of the critical steps is to create a web application, which is when you choose the URL.  It defaults to http://MachineName:port, but I always use a Host Header.  AFter creating the web application, you create a site collection, which is where your content goes.  All of this is done after installing, running the config wizard, and opening Central Admin. 

Are you a newbie to using SharePoint period?  If so, then installing an entirely new farm is probably something you should spend a lot of time on before worrying about SPD.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 9:30 AM
  • Opening the URL worked.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 9:39 AM
  • Opening the URL worked.

Thanks.

*facepalm*
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 9:55 AM