none
VS2017 RC (Enterprise) "Sorry, the product definitions failed to load"

Question

• Hi, 

I have VS2015 Enterprise installed and have tried to install the 2017RC version, however I'm getting a rather unhelpful message about product definitions failing to load. 

My PC is Win7 Enterprise 

Anyone else seeing this and have a solution? 

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 11:46 AM

All replies

• Hi my friend,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description and the error message, I found other community members also meet this issue and reported it to the Visual Studio Product Team, please have a look at this: Sorry, the product definitions failed to load and the VS product team engineering team is investigating this problem. You can click the “Follow” button at the right side to vote it, then we need to wait for the feedback from the VS product Team.

Meanwhile, I found another community member meet the same error information and left message under : Visual Studio 2017 Release Candidate and Chee Seong [MSFT] recommend Net_Coder to have a try with different browser like IE11 or Chrome to instead of the MS Edge. What’s your current default browser? If you are also using the Edge (Windows 10 default setting) and you can try to set the IE11 as the default browser, temporarily disable any antivirus software and make sure windows update is up-to-date, then re-run the VS 2017 enterprise RC installer as administrator to have a test.

In case, this issue is related to your current environment cannot download the resource during the installation, you can also think about download an offline installer of VS 2017 enterprise RC on another computer that can successfully install this version.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 2:52 AM
  • Sorry, spoke too soon.   Bombs out after about 10 mins of unpacking files and gives this error.

Monday, December 5, 2016 4:05 PM
  • Hi my friend,

Thank you for your update.

Since your OS is windows 7, please make sure SP1 is already be installed and windows update is up-to-date, temporarily disable any antivirus and clean up the %temp%, then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer, and run vs_installer.exe as administrator to check this issue or click the ‘Retry’ button in your original shared screenshot.

BTW, have you tried the methods in my last reply?

If the installation still failed, I need your help to the installation log. Please use http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.zip under %temp% folder. Please upload the file to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 1:48 AM
  • Hi, 

Win7 has SP1 installed. 

Under the local admin account I installed the pack, it took about 40 minutes and showed an error at the end.  

[3020:0048][2016-12-07T13:05:25] Package 'Microsoft.Azure.Compute.Emulator.Exe,version=2.9.5,chip=x64' failed to install. Command executed: "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Packages\Microsoft.Azure.Compute.Emulator.Exe,version=2.9.5,chip=x64\MicrosoftAzureComputeEmulator-x64.exe" /quiet, Return code: 1603, Details: Fatal error during installation.
    [3020:0048][2016-12-07T13:06:31] Package 'Microsoft.Azure.KB2506143.Win7,version=6.1,chip=x64' failed to install. Command executed: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dism.exe" /online /quiet /norestart /add-package /packagepath:"C:\Users\DMGADMIN\AppData\Local\Temp\f2a63529-e7b3-4672-8ddd-f6dfdeb173af\Windows6.1-KB2506143-x64.cab" /logPath:"C:\Users\DMGADMIN\AppData\Local\Temp\dd_setup_20161207124647_267_Microsoft.Azure.KB2506143.Win7.log", Return code: -2146498529, Details: Unknown error (0x800f081f)

I started VS2017 and the dev env loaded up fine.  However when I've logged back in as myself it is not in the menu, all I have is this: 

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 1:28 PM
  • Hi my friend,

Since it failed to install the KB2506143 and you can try to download it from https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/2506143 and run the installer as administrator, then reboot the computer.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, December 8, 2016 9:59 AM