Media Playback, MISB metadata

Question

• Does anyone know about H.264 encoded, MPEG-2 transport video, with MISB 601.4 KLV metadata?  I have such a file, and I'd like to play it back with the Media Playback sample code.  I am unable to, and I get the error message below.  The file plays back fine with the Windows Media Player and with VLC.

Thanks

The video could not be loaded, either because the server or the network failed or the format is not supported.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:10 AM

All replies

• Would it be possible a link to download such clip?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Hmmm.  I wish.  The clips I have are all proprietary.  I'll see if I can find some sample ones on the web.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:02 AM
  • Hello Pasadena,

There is an easy test that you can do to help us track down the problem. Try rendering the file in "TopoEdit". This applicaiton uses Media Foundation to render the playback topology. You can find this app in the "bin" directory of the Windows Kit version 8 in your program files. 

If the file plays in then we have a problem if the file doesn't play then we know that there is somthing strange with one or more of the data streams in the file that is causing MF to hesitate. Theoretically we should be able to crack an MPEG2 TS video source and then decode the h.264 inside. However you need to keep in mind that there really isn't a standard MPEG2 file format. Because of this not all MPEG2 files play as expected. I've seen a lot of really strange playback issues with MPEG2 TS files not playing as expected. Also keep in mind that WMP may use various technologies and not just MF to try and play the file. In a Metro style app the entire media stack is based on MF.

I Hope this helps,

James

Windows Media SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Friday, April 13, 2012 12:10 AM