none
Unified Write Filter Exceptions and Deployment

Question

• Wondering if there is a way to add registry exceptions to the Unified Write Filter in order to get some of the functions in the Device Portal operational with the write filter turned on?  I would like to be able to set the timezone, machine name, and administrative password with the filter enabled.  Does anyone know what exceptions to add?

Also, my product is getting very close to shipping.  I was wondering is it ok just to set up an SD card with my distribution, clone the card and just make a bunch of cards up from the image file or is there a better way to do this?  I read some of the deployment documentation but much of it is really technical.  I was planning on just cloning the SD cards, installing the cards in the product, and then incrementing a serial number that is part of the machine name...is this OK?

Thank you and thanks Microsoft team for working on Iot and maintaining it...

Dan DeMerchant

Wednesday, December 06, 2017 2:33 AM

Answers

• Hi, danoplus

Thanks for your sharing about the tool HDD Raw Data. It brings great convenience to OEM.

The registry key for machine name is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName, and the key for admin password is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters. You can find other information from Registry Reference.

Best Regards,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by danoplus Friday, December 08, 2017 3:21 PM
    Friday, December 08, 2017 1:52 AM

All replies

• Hi, Dan

It is achievable to add registry exception to the Unified Write Filter.For example in your mentions, Time Zones information is in registry(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation).You can execute below command in powershell. You need to find out the correspondding registry key of what exception you want to add.

uwfmgr.exe Registry Add-Exclusion HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation

If you just clone the SD cards up from the image file, the system can not boot when plug-in to your device and restart.It is important to execute the cmd of  DISM.exe .In fact, you will find 3 disk partitions in your SD card when flashed Windows IoT Core to it, please refer to IoT Device Layout. Currently there is no express way or tool to simplify the deployment. Otherwise Express Deployment Tool can be used to build a custom Windows deployment, EDT simplifies the process of installing, but it is for windows desktop.

Best Regards,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 07, 2017 6:40 AM
  • I use a tool call HDD Raw Data copy.  It can make a disk image of the entire SD card with all partitions included in the image.  Then using this image, we run multiple card writers as you can run multiple instances of the HDD software.  You need multiple copies of the image, but when you team this software up with a $4.99 ioGear writer from Amazon, you get a pretty easy to use card duplication system.  I have tested the copied SD cards with IoT and they boot up perfectly and have all of the partitions.  My SD image has the UWF and my application configured.  I just boot up on the copied image and change the machine name for each device as we have a serial number in the machine name.  

Any more registry entries known for the machine name and administrative password that can be exempted from the UWF?

Dan DeMerchant

Thursday, December 07, 2017 4:26 PM
  • Hi, danoplus

Thanks for your sharing about the tool HDD Raw Data. It brings great convenience to OEM.

The registry key for machine name is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName, and the key for admin password is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters. You can find other information from Registry Reference.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Marked as answer by danoplus Friday, December 08, 2017 3:21 PM
    Friday, December 08, 2017 1:52 AM
  • Very good info I appreciate it!

Dan DeMerchant

Friday, December 08, 2017 3:27 PM