none
Add/Remove TileLayer Without Refreshing All Layers RRS feed

• Question

• In porting my application from the legacy v6.3 to new v8 of the map control I have encountered some behavior of the map that isn't quiet ideal for my use case.

In my application I have added multiple tile layers to the map, representing various analysis layers generated by the application. Part of the core functionality is a list of different sets of entities that are rendered as a tile layer (they are essentially point markers, but with complex symbols that are coloured, oriented and styled according to a set of unique properties of each one). The user often quickly toggles between different layers to visual compare two sets of entities. This causes the entire set of tile layers to refresh, as what I am doing is adding and removing a tile layer.

It is not possible to use pushpins with custom graphics for this, as there are simply too many to put in to the map, and each one has a unique graphic.

I understand that in v6 and below this only involved adding and removing images from the DOM, but now this is rendered on a single canvas it is has to re-render the entire thing. Is there anything at all I can do to try and stop this happening?

Thursday, November 17, 2016 10:48 AM

Answers

• There is no way around this at the moment as hiding/showing tile layers require all data in the canvas to be re-rendered. However, I do have a task for the team to look into tile layer improvements based on customer feedback. Currently these are planned to be completed by March.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Monday, November 21, 2016 9:47 PM
  • Try the experimental branch. The team has made a ton of performance and memory improvements over the last two months. This likely has helped. They are also working on tile layer rendering improvements. In general tile layers render fast, it's only when you have multiple tile layers and you turn one off it causes a refresh of the screen. There isn't much of an option around that.

Monday, April 10, 2017 7:32 PM

All replies

• There is no way around this at the moment as hiding/showing tile layers require all data in the canvas to be re-rendered. However, I do have a task for the team to look into tile layer improvements based on customer feedback. Currently these are planned to be completed by March.

Monday, November 21, 2016 9:47 PM
  • Hi,

We are also facing the same issue in our application. Please let us know the ETA of fix for this issue.

Thanks,

Satish

Monday, April 10, 2017 12:32 PM
  • Try the experimental branch. The team has made a ton of performance and memory improvements over the last two months. This likely has helped. They are also working on tile layer rendering improvements. In general tile layers render fast, it's only when you have multiple tile layers and you turn one off it causes a refresh of the screen. There isn't much of an option around that.

Monday, April 10, 2017 7:32 PM