Volume Shadow Copy Service Issues RRS feed

• Question

• *Hi All*

I have been having some issues with errors appearing in the Event Log with the image l created, and decided to create a basic XPe image to help find the faults.  The image works fine other than these events appearing in the Event log.         

I created a simple image using the runtime quick start helper macro together with my devices for the motherboard.  I also needed Disk Defragmenter for NTFS, Disk Defragmenter Core and Disk Defragmenter for FAT. In turn this brings in Volume Shadow Copy Service.  I get the following errors in the Event Viewer under Application as follows:

Event Id 8193: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040154.

Event Id 4097: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The COM+ Admin catolog instance cannot be created (0x80040154).

I have searched various forums and the internet but have not found an answer to get rid of these errors.  It looks like a number of people have had problems and if anyone can point me in the right direction on finding a solution it would be great.  The answers l found indicated something to do with the COM+ infastructure but did not outline how l go about fixing the problem.   

I am also getting the Event Id: 5728 Could not load any transport.  This also occurs in my basic image and any help on solving this error would be much appreciated.

If l clear all the events and restart l do not see these errors in the Event Viewer, they only occur when the machine is first booted after the FBA has completed.

Any help would be much appreciated.     

Many thanks

James Usherwood

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 6:53 AM

All replies

• I realise this is an old thread but did you resolve this issue as I am seeing the same messages?
    Monday, October 5, 2009 1:26 PM
  • Do both of you have COM and its dependencies in the image ?

Thanks
    Srikanth
    Srikanth Kamath [MSFT]
    Monday, October 5, 2009 3:02 PM
  • I have COM Base and COM+ Services and whatever dependencies these have.
    Thanks.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 3:18 PM
  • KB 940032 (link) appears to deal with this specific VSS error. Could you please try the fix and let us if that resolves the issue ?

Thanks
    Srikanth

Srikanth Kamath [MSFT]
    Monday, October 5, 2009 9:04 PM
  • KB 940032 (link ) appears to deal with this specific VSS error. Could you please try the fix and let us if that resolves the issue ?

Thanks
    Srikanth

Srikanth Kamath [MSFT]
    The errors all occur before I logon after FBA and do not occur again so following the instructions in the link will not make any difference. Your suggestion is appreciated however.

To confirm I have the following errors in the application event log:

Event Id 8193: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040154.

Event Id 4097: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The COM+ Admin catolog instance cannot be created (0x80040154).

And this error in the System event log:

Workstation - Could not load any transport.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:30 PM