none
User Profile Services - Sync Connection disappearing after a few days - "Moss MA not found"

Question

• Hi,

This may sound like a common problem but i can't seem to find a solution.

I recently installed a SharePoint 2010 farm. The farm is currently SP1, Aug12 CU.

I created the user profile service application without any problems and created a connection, sync worked...everything was fine. Few days after, i noticed the connection disappeared! I tried recreating it but i got the above error. Tried deleting the SA and recreating it but still the same.

I checked everything:

- FIM services are started

- User profile services (both) are started

- It is not an AD connection timeout (error comes up in a second and containers populate just fine)

- All permissions were given correctly (keep in mind this has worked before)

- Tried updating to the Aug12 CU

Then i remembered i installed the farm with the sql servers mapped with FQDN instead of NETBIOS or Alias.

That led me to try to enable netbios on the SA via PowerShell but to no avail.

So basically my question is...is there anything i can do or is re installing the farm the only solution?

• Edited by Tomer Agmon Sunday, January 27, 2013 11:55 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:41 PM

Answers

• Found it!

After seeing that the connection disappeared again, I have finally managed to connect the dots. We decided that the application pool identity of Central Admin should not be SpFarm because the Health Anlyzer states that this account should not be used for anything else. After each time we recreated the UPSS (which included Config Wizard) we had to change the identity again (Config Wizard returns this to default). The change of this identity is what causes the problem! The CA loses it's ability to query the connections after the app pool identity is changed (thus the "Access denied" errors).

To conclude, don't change the CA app pool identity, that's the answer!

Thank you all for your contribution, this community is the best!

Best regards,

Tomer

• Marked as answer by Tomer Agmon Monday, February 4, 2013 3:08 PM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 3:08 PM

All replies

• Have you gone into the MIISClient.exe to see if the Management Agent exists?  This would at least tell you you aren't crazy and possible help you find out what is going on.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Synchronization Service\UIShell\miisclient.exe

This must be run as a local admin

Chris Givens CEO, Architecting Connected Systems Blog Twitter

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:50 AM
  • Hi,

so to fix this you RESTART the 2 Forefront Identity Services and then stop and restart the User profile Synchronization service ....
    Then just go back to the Synchronization connection and you should see your old connection  .... just RUN the Synch Job and you are done ...

also try iisreset.

http://bradleychetty.blogspot.com/2011/09/error-moss-ma-not-found-whill-creating.html

http://0ut0ftheb0x.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/moss-ma-not-found/

thx

iffi

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:39 AM
  • Forgot to mention. I tried restarting the services...they never go up again.

Try again :)

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:20 AM
  • Hi,

Pls recheck both services are started.

- Forefront Identity Manager Service
    - ForeFront Identity Manager Synchronization Service

can you share screenshot from MIISClient.exe

have you checked ULS logs

For SharePoint 2010, by default, ULS log is at

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\LOGS

thx

iffi

• Edited by imughal Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:42 AM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:34 AM
  • Hi,

Services are started (obviously).

Checked if the MA exists in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Synchronization Service\UIShell\miisclient.exe and it does.

Also tried to give NTFS permissions to Network Service.

I noticed the following errors:

Event Log :  Two consecutive event Id 3 - Access to the requested resource is denied (source - FIM).

ULS : Could not find MOSS MA despite it being marked as fully configured. Was it deleted?

Failed trying to fill connections list. Most likely during RetrieveResources because of permissions : access is denied.

PS:

- I accidently deleted the service instances and had to run configuration wizard to restore them.

- I tried restarting the Sync service after i created the SA and i could not get it to start again. Only recreating the SA gets the service started.

- I tried to delete the SA completely and recreate it exactly by these steps: http://www.harbar.net/articles/sp2010ups.aspx

• Edited by Tomer Agmon Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:31 PM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Did you try running the sync manually using FIM?  That can be your work around until you can get the SP integrated piece working.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:08 PM
  • I believe i still need a connection object in order to sync through FIM.
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 11:29 AM
  • Nope, if the MOSS AD is there, then you can simply fire off the MA jobs.  Keep in mind that import and export don't mean what you think from an FIM standpoint.  Import means "import" into FIM, export mean "export" out of FIM.

Saturday, December 15, 2012 1:15 AM
  • Even so, i need a premenent solution.

But thank you for your help thus far

Sunday, December 16, 2012 6:49 AM
  • What user account is running owstimer.exe?

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

Sunday, December 16, 2012 4:14 PM
  • The user running the owstimer.exe on the server running the UPS is the farm user.

Also, i have tried the following:

1. Running a manual import and export using FIM. Export (from AD) worked perfectly, Import (to SP) marked all of the object as disconnected (does that say anything to you?). Note: connection object does not appear in SharePoint UI after the creation in FIM.

2. Tried adding permissions over the synchronization folder and its content (c:\program files\microsoft office server\14\synchronization) to all relevant accounts (spfarm, spsync, NETWORK SERVICE).

3. Tried creating the service application using a different application server and running the service on it. Still no success.

4. My initial thought was that the SQL mapped with FQDN was causing the issue. I have read here that although that this is strongly unadvised , it can only cause problems while provisioning the service, a step that i completed successfully every time.

So to conclude:

-it's not a problem with the permissions to AD (i completed an import using FIM).

- It's not a problem with the SQL mapped as fqdn (should have caused other problems).

- It's not a problem with the specific server (did not work on another server as well).

• Edited by Tomer Agmon Monday, December 17, 2012 5:51 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2012 4:39 PM
  • At this point, you will need some onsite help.  The Harbar article is meant to be used when you are starting from scratch and doesn't take into account "residual" from a previous setup.

You should delete the SA again, make sure the databases are completely wipped (don't use the same ones again).  Create it again.  Open MIIS, make sure the delete also removed the Management Agents.  Once you confirm the agents are gone.  Recreate the connection (which should create the MAs again).

If that doesn't work, you are in Premier Support\onsite help mode.

Monday, December 17, 2012 10:33 PM
  • Hi Tomer Agmon,

I noticed there is important error you mentioned:

Failed trying to fill connections list. Most likely during RetrieveResources because of permissions : access is denied.

It is generally caused by the service account don't have permissions to some resources. Registry may be the source. To troubleshoot it, I would suggest you using Process Monitor to get the resource required:

1. Use the Process Monitor to monitor, filter the result by: result contains ACCESS DENIED
    2. Check which account is denied by what the resources
    3. Give the account sufficient privileges the resources

Thanks,
    Jinchun Chen

Jinchun Chen(JC)
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:39 AM
  • Hi Chris,

I have tried what you suggested and also cleaned some other folders and caches. This worked and gave me the option to successfuly re-create the connection and run several syncs. 

Suprisingly (sarcasm), the connection disappeared once again.

So what i conclude from that is that the "Moss MA not found" error was just caused by not cleaning up after i deleted the SA and that the original probolem (the disappearing connection) still exists.

Jinchun Chen: I will try that but I doubt this is the answer. I googled it and found this post and this one both saying that the error is caused by the FIM services that are not running for various reasons (which is not the case with us). Also, this error is related to the "Moss MA not found" error, which i now know that is not the real problem.

I want to thank everyone for their continuous effort to help me, I appreciate it.

Tomer

• Edited by Tomer Agmon Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:31 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:25 PM
  • I found the solution!

I am so ashamed to say that it was the clock. The time on the application server running the Sync service was totally wrong. After fixing it, I recreated the SA (and cleaned all traces left behinde) and the connection did not dissappear again. I am sorry that i can't share the cleaning process, I was forbidden to do so.

Thank you all very much for your help

• Marked as answer by Tomer Agmon Monday, December 31, 2012 12:56 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Tomer Agmon Sunday, January 27, 2013 11:47 AM
    Monday, December 31, 2012 12:56 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Bad news, the connection disappeared again. I officially have no idea what causes the problem or how to solve it. I was able to clean up and recreate the connection once more but I fear it will disappear again. What can cause the SharePoint to not be able to query the connection list from the FIM service after a day or two?

Thanks in advance,

Tomer

Sunday, January 27, 2013 11:52 AM
  • The sync connection can disappear if CA is running on the same server as the UPSS and the CA app pool has not been recycled after a restart of the UPSS.

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Sunday, January 27, 2013 4:13 PM
  • To add to Trevor's last comment (which is right on), if a Full backup fails, the service will also unprovision itself and you will have to provision it again.  Which then requires you to do an IISRESET on the central administration server.  So...

• Always best to have UPS on an APP server (not CA)
    • Make sure your FULL backups are working

Chris

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:04 AM
  • Iisreset is not strictly required, you can simply recycle the Central Admin App Pool...

http://sharepoint.nauplius.net/2011/09/iisreset-not-required-after-starting-user-profile-sync-service/

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:43 AM
  • Hi all,

First, thank you all for helping me.

Second, although we do have the UPSS running on the same app server as the CA, we never restarted the UPSS so i'm not sure if this was what caused the problem. 

So two questions:

1. Is there any way that the UPSS can restart itself or that the fact that it is on the same server as the CA make it disappear regardless of it not being restarted?

2. Even if the answer to the above question is no, would you recommend moving the UPSS to another server?

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:49 AM
  • If you perform a backup (e.g. full farm backup), it restarts.  You don't need to move it from the CA server, but you do need to recycle the CA app pool once the UPSS restarts.

-----------------------

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Hi,

So I read in some other places that I should not put CA and UPSS on the same server so I moved the CA...and surprise surprise, few hours later the connection disappeared. I think it has something to do with the PSCONFIGs I ran...maybe counts as some kind of restart. Anyways, i'm gonna try the cleanup again and hopefully it won't go away this time.

P.S - while trying some syncs yesterday, I noticed that the clock in the log of the UPSS SA were 2 hours late. Machine time and WA time are set correctly. Can this cause problem? What causes this?

Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:19 AM
  • What psconfig commands did you run?

The log file is normal - http://sharepoint.nauplius.net/2012/09/the-user-profile-synchronization-log-timestamps/.

-----------------------

Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:28 AM
  • Hi Trevor,

I ran the configuration wizard to transfer the CA. Also, I noticed that when I ran the configuration wizard, it says it needs to finalize a SharePoint upgrade (not the standard configuration wizard) even though I have not upgraded anything. I ran the cleanup (and also regular configuration wizard on all servers) and am now waiting to see if everything remains ok. Clock in sync log still messed up though...

Have a nice day!

Thursday, January 31, 2013 10:04 AM
  • Yikes. If psconfig is telling you it is ready to upgrade, then you should probably run it on all the servers in your farm. 

Possibly you did a CU without running PSCONFIG afterwards?  Maybe you have windows update enabled (which is a really bad idea on SharePoint servers).

The clock thing can happen when you are using a time server.  This can be pushed down from the DHCP server when the server get an IP Address.  If some servers are using Static IP and others using DHCP, this may be where the time is getting out of whack.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:25 PM
  • Hi,

Wow sounds like fun.. You have a couple of seriously smart people helping you and the only reason I am offering my two cents. Is dude please NEVER use an FQDN to connect to a SQL Server with SharePoint..

I would try renaming, I think you mentioned you tried and failed but here is the PowerShell command

Rename-SPServer SQLServer.Contoso.com -Name SQLServer

However,  this may resolve the issue or it might partially resolve the issue. I'm a little surprised its this stable..

Last Always use an Alias for your SQL Server Name as this is much more flexible if you are ever faced with an FQDN being used for a SQL Server Name... I don't know specifically if this is what is causing your issues. But I have seen so many unexplained annoyances due to this issue I had to give you my two cents...

Chris you rock.... Ill be in San Diego on the 5th we will talk before then...

-Ivan

_

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders, Business Intelligence in SharePoint 2013.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Hi Ivan and Chris,

Ivan: I'm well aware of this problem and i'm quite sure it is part of what is causing the issue, but i was afraid of the consequences of changing the name and did not want to re-install the farm. Are you telling me this is not a dangerous procedure?

Chris: I did not install any CU after the last time I ran the PSCONFIG and also don't have any automatic updates for sure (environment is not connected to the internet). Also, i'm using static IP address (and I hope you understood i'm not talking about the SharePoint FE server clock, i'm talking about specifically the clock in the UPSS log accessed from CA)/

Thank you all for your help,

Tomer   

Friday, February 1, 2013 8:18 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issue when trying to re-create connection, I cannot get to connect

UPS and UPSS are on a separate application server

time is synchronized across all servers

Services up and running

I can run forefront identity manager manually successfully

strange ...

• Edited by Deeco Saturday, February 2, 2013 12:17 AM wroung descrip
    Friday, February 1, 2013 11:09 PM
  • i'm not talking about the SharePoint FE server clock, i'm talking about specifically the clock in the UPSS log accessed from CA)/

This part is understood.  The UPSS uses UTC rather than the server's time zone post-SP1.

-----------------------

Friday, February 1, 2013 11:11 PM
  • sorry ,

where could I get more info on this?,

I cannot find anything on "the clock in the UPSS log accessed from CA)" is this a reference to the timer ?

Saturday, February 2, 2013 12:16 AM
  • See the link I previously posted - http://sharepoint.nauplius.net/2012/09/the-user-profile-synchronization-log-timestamps/.

-----------------------

Saturday, February 2, 2013 12:48 AM
  • Thanks Trevor, now i know it's not the clock causing the issue!

I'll have to come back to work tomorrow and see if the connection is still there. Next step is probably changing the SQL server name if  the connection disappears again.

Much appreciated!

Saturday, February 2, 2013 6:48 PM
  • If you are using the FQDN, then no it won't work properly.  However, keep in mind that if you used the FQDN to set up SharePoint (as in, the Config database is using the SQL Server FQDN), then you don't want to change the name of the SQL Server as you'll break your farm.

Rather, I would suggest deleting the UPA SA.  Go through the setup again, but instead of using the default SQL Server, specify the shortname of the SQL Server.

-----------------------

Saturday, February 2, 2013 7:54 PM
  • Hi All, 

Trevor, L:ooks like your suggestion works I juts tried creating a UPS with the FQDN and then changed to using the NetBIOS name. But the caveat is I am not using the NetBIOS name as the default database, I am using another DB Servet

Whatever we do at this point needs to be tested in DEV so we need DEV Server. I have never seen an environment successfully maintained using the FDQN  If it were mr I would have already rebuilt it only takes 90 minutes or so to stand a an environment up.

Would It would be better to Build another farm next to the first one and remove the content dbs from the old farm and move them to the new one and attaché them to new WebApps.  I think it would take less time and be healthier in the long run to move away from using the FQDN for SQL Completely, I don't believe its supported anyway.. 

This post from an MSDN Blog is titled NEVER, NEVER, AGAIN. Its just one example.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/momalek/archive/2010/10/29/never-again-never-use-a-fqdn-for-the-sharepoint-2010-sql-server-name.aspx

I should have said this when I wrote the rename response, its really to attempt the rename or start over... Though Trevor is correct, if you specify the NetBIOS name of the instance when creating the UPS it will work.. Shame I didn't think of it,Trevor you rock..

Trevor, I would like to get your thoughts as well??? To build another Farm or to continue using the one you have with an FQDN?

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders, Business Intelligence in SharePoint 2013.

Saturday, February 2, 2013 11:16 PM
  • I've only heard the FQDN not being supported with regards to the UPA, but not specifically with SharePoint as a whole (though I've always seen it not recommended).

http://www.harbar.net/articles/sp2010ups.aspx (search for Fully Qualified)

Always use the NetBIOS name or a SQL Alias, but never FQDN/IP when configuring SharePoint.

-----------------------

Saturday, February 2, 2013 11:22 PM
  • Hi,

The UPSS is ok for now (besides some random application pools going off which temporarily broke the service). Recreating the farm is really the last resort and I don't want to take these measures quite yet. I will hope for the best for now.

Thank you all for contributing.

Sunday, February 3, 2013 9:27 AM
  • Hi All,

The connection disappeared again :(. I'm now pretty convinced it's the SQL name issue. Is recreating the farm the only solution? Can't I just change the HOST file on the servers? I'm just looking for a definitive answer before I decide what to do.

Thanks

Sunday, February 3, 2013 4:12 PM
  • Hi All,

The connection disappeared again :(. I'm now pretty convinced it's the SQL name issue. Is recreating the farm the only solution? Can't I just change the HOST file on the servers? I'm just looking for a definitive answer before I decide what to do.

Thanks

Instead of doing that, recreating the UPA by specify the database server name using the NetBIOS name, rather than letting SharePoint use the 'default' SQL Server.

-----------------------

• Proposed as answer by Stacy Simpkins Monday, February 4, 2013 11:08 AM
    Sunday, February 3, 2013 5:59 PM
  • in SP2013 environment, i had run something like Rename-SPServer SQLServer -Name SQLServer.contoso.com, there was error message like cannot find the farm in command output, after that, i cannot join SharePoint server into the farm with configuration wizard. However, i cannot draw a conclusion that i cannot use FQDN here.

I created a new configuration database with FQDN, had not seen something abnormal yet. the user profile service and user profile synchronization service both started.

I feel more suspecious on the rename-spserver command itself, or at least, rename from short name to FQDN.

Any the most important thing is to check the client side name resolution configuration. whether it can be any timeout or something.
    • Edited by GuYuming Monday, February 4, 2013 7:11 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 7:04 AM
  • Wow you think that would work? I'll give it a try!
    Monday, February 4, 2013 7:04 AM
  • See the link I previously posted - http://sharepoint.nauplius.net/2012/09/the-user-profile-synchronization-log-timestamps/.

Thanks for this, I confirmed all ok with the time,

My connection now does not appear at all now... but syncs are working for european domain users and not updating usa users.

I confirmed by adding and editing user to europe domain and it appears correctly no problem ,

I've moved the service to another server and back to no avail. my problem is I cant see the connection but have a problem with a usa user updating their userlogon.

should the userprofile account have permissions on usa domain , I didn't think it would as changes are replicated to european domain user appears correctly wiihin active directory.

thanks for all the advice its been really helpful. 

Monday, February 4, 2013 11:42 AM
  • Hi,

I have tried it, provisioning the UPS works. Now i'm waiting to see if everything is ok. I will keep you all updated.

I can't thank you enough for your help :)

Monday, February 4, 2013 12:17 PM
  • Hi Tomer Agmon,

Please close the thread by marking someone post as answer which helped you to resolve your problem so it could help to other.

Forum Moderator

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Monday, February 4, 2013 12:21 PM
  • Found it!

After seeing that the connection disappeared again, I have finally managed to connect the dots. We decided that the application pool identity of Central Admin should not be SpFarm because the Health Anlyzer states that this account should not be used for anything else. After each time we recreated the UPSS (which included Config Wizard) we had to change the identity again (Config Wizard returns this to default). The change of this identity is what causes the problem! The CA loses it's ability to query the connections after the app pool identity is changed (thus the "Access denied" errors).

To conclude, don't change the CA app pool identity, that's the answer!

Thank you all for your contribution, this community is the best!

Best regards,

Tomer

• Marked as answer by Tomer Agmon Monday, February 4, 2013 3:08 PM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 3:08 PM
  • If you mean change the farm account (in this approach http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934838?wa=wsignin1.0) will cause User Profile synchronization service stops working, it is a known issue, simply stop the User Profile Synchronization service in Central Administration -> Manage
    Services on Server and restart it fixed the issue. Stop the service will
    disable the two FIM services. And restart it will set their service account to
    be the new Farm Account

I had write about it in the skydrive word document you posted above. But i never tried changing the web application pool account for CA alone.

• Edited by GuYuming Tuesday, February 5, 2013 1:49 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Stacy Simpkins Friday, February 8, 2013 10:41 AM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 1:39 AM
  • You should not have marked this as the answer. There are many reasons to change the CA app pool identity, and your "answer" does not address the issue at hand.

DH

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:12 AM
  • The solutions below works for me:

http://blog.incworx.com/blog/sharepoint-developer-blog/moss-ma-not-found/comment-submitted

https://mohamedelkassas.wordpress.com/2013/03/15/moss-ma-not-found-user-profile-syncronization-failure/

Diego Ferreira

Monday, September 14, 2015 6:36 PM