dynamic data open-source and/or contrib area? RRS feed

• Question

• User-923914004 posted

I made my first "dynamic data" site a few days ago and it worked well for the most part, but some pain points existed and I added some code to work around them (for instance, an annoying one was having to do FilterUIHint on all the string properties since the IsFilterable logic was hard-coded for the 3 built-in filters of FK/bool/enum).  I did a quick search to see if it was open-source like the MVC stack but couldn't find it (although the 'futures' area of the codeplex site has the start of a 'dynamic data for mvc').

The codeplex project appears to show Dynamic Data as (at least somewhat) abandoned, so I wondered if maybe open-sourcing it was an option, and if not, what the 'path forward' was expected to be?  Certainly you can use regular MVC to scaffold up an app, but for something that somewhat automagically evolves as the EF model does, Dynamic Data is going to be hard to beat (AFAICT).

So what's the deal with Dynamic Data?  Still alive and kicking?  Active open-source project?  Other? :)

Thanks!

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:15 PM

Answers

• User-330204900 posted

Hi James, here is my Open Source project https://ddextensions.codeplex.com/ it's not properly open just yet hopfully soon though, it is taking me quite a bit of time to bring ALL the different pieces together :)

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 4:15 AM

All replies

• User3866881 posted

f it was open-source like the MVC stack but couldn't find it

Do you wanna an MVC with Dynamic Data Sample?

Saturday, June 16, 2012 8:25 PM
  • User-923914004 posted

No, thanks - I'd like to know if 'dynamic data' is open-source and/or has a contrib area already (see title :)

Since the product team doesn't seem to be actively working on it (which is fine, they've got bigger fish to fry), I'm hoping that there's something that will allow it to 'live on' in the community - the number of pain points I hit that I see have been hit by others for years now suggests that there's at least a need for some fixes, even if just targeted ones, and I'd much rather send pull requests to the team than maintaining my own hacks (as it appears many others have already been doing).

System.Web.DynamicData.dll certainly already has the reference source available, but that's not really useful in terms of trying to keep 'dynamic data' alive. :)

Thanks!

Saturday, June 16, 2012 10:30 PM
  • User3866881 posted

I'd like to know if 'dynamic data' is open-source and/or has a contrib area already (see title :)

sorry I don't think DD is open to the public,however maybe you can use something like Just-DeCompiler to decompile the System.Web.DynamicData.dll file to see the original codes……

Saturday, June 16, 2012 11:34 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

Hi James, I don't think it will become open source for the same reason as WebForm will not as it is part of WebForms and WebForms is an OS dependency.

I do have a lot of stuff the adds on to DD and will have my open source project up and running soon with all the stuff from my blog on there

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:20 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

Actually Decker, there are major part of System.Web.DynamicData.dll that do not decompile :(

Sunday, June 24, 2012 5:05 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

Hi James, here is my Open Source project https://ddextensions.codeplex.com/ it's not properly open just yet hopfully soon though, it is taking me quite a bit of time to bring ALL the different pieces together :)

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 4:15 AM
  • User-1336852631 posted
    Steve - this looks amazing. Look forward to it being open.
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 8:31 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

I will do my best :) I have been trying to get it done since Christmas hopfully soon.

Saturday, June 30, 2012 11:24 AM