none
Will TLS 1.2 break our system? RRS feed

• General discussion

• We have a distributed system that has been in production for a few years now. One of the interactions that are made between the distributed components is between the SQL Server Database and the various desktop-based application, Windows services and Web services. This communication is done through ADO.NET as we used recordsets at the time (this system predates Entity Framework).

Now our client has informed us that due to some PCI requirements that they must satisfy, they are mandated to strictly enforce the entire network communication to use TLS 1.2. We are asked if our system will break or not.

I don't have a full grasp of all these security protocols and I would only speculate in my answer. That's why I would like to hear the opinion of someone with a better level of expertise in everything that has to do with security concerns.

Any response will be highly appreciated. If you have online resources that you can point to me, please feel free to post links in the comments section.

TIA,

Eddie

PS: I will post a similar question on Stack Overflow, so you may notice a duplication. Also, we have some services that use MSMQ for their inter-process communication, so a similar question was posted here.

Monday, May 14, 2018 5:18 PM

All replies

• Those security protocols do not apply to SqlClient. But if those security protocols are the only one allowed, then you cannot access database directly from your app, and need to have a proxy server somewhere else. You already have web services, just add one that wraps queries to your database. 

Visual C++ MVP

Monday, May 14, 2018 8:50 PM