Classic Start Menu in Windows Developer Preview Client x86

General discussion

• If you are having transition issues/difficulties with new Start menu GUI, etc...  try this (non-Microsoft and not officially supported) app to give you back a classic shell including start menu:

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Can not confirm (yet) that it works also with x64 client, but can confirm it works with x86.   This little app has saved a bunch of people I know who have had the transition issues.

HINT:  It also simultaneously allows the normal Win8 Start menu AND right clicking on start button and selecting settings... then "All Settings" in window that pops up... gives you massive control where there was none intuitively available.
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 5:57 AM

All replies

• To change back to the older style Start menu from the Metro UI, open regedit, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer.

In the right pane, right-click RPEnabled and Modify its value from 1 (one) to 0 (zero). It is, of course reversible.

Sunday, November 27, 2011 2:10 PM
  • Yes, that's great and I knew about that, but that mod won't allow simultaneous classic start menu AND new menu will it?  I haven't seen the native ability to do that.  Also, most non-IT people won't know how to do that safely or feel to intimidated to endeavor to do that....  the above just makes it easier AND allows multiple menu methods simultaneously.  

Also, I believe if someone does do that mod, that they must restart to make it active.  Likewise, if they reverse it.  (This sentence is for those who read this thread, not the author... whom I'm reasonably sure already knew this.)
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 11:56 PM