none
Visual Gesture Builder: Visual Studio integration; Source Control RRS feed

• General discussion

• Visual Gesture Builder (VGB) is great. Visual Studio is great. And large development projects need source control.

Is the team planning integration with Visual Studio, or Visual Studio Online for source control?

I'm picturing that maybe VGB becomes a .vsix plugin for Visual Studio (Pro and above) and that we could then rely on VS source control to manager our VGB files.

Saturday, September 20, 2014 6:37 PM

All replies

• If the references are already added to the project, then this should not be an issue for source control as these save project level references. You should be adding references through the assemblies list, not browsing for the .dll. Each developer machine would already have SDK previously installed which would register the required assemblies. For deployment, you need to ensure to include the "redist" components as part of your install package.

If you need a way to deploy the SDK in a dev deployment, can be done through a script or domain level action that can be deployed to dev machines.

As for ensuring the correct install for .Net projects in your VS Project, you can use NuGet:

http://www.nuget.org/profiles/KinectForWindowsTeam

• Microsoft Kinect VisualGestureBuilder (x86)
    • Microsoft Kinect VisualGestureBuilder (x64)

For VGB databases, you need to add runs for your source control since these files can be named anything you want. This is a best practice for your team and stick with it. In your project this would be no different than including a image resource. Mark it as content and copy always for the build.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, September 22, 2014 4:56 PM
  • Ok, I get it. By including the VGB project resources (of which the databases, gbd files, are required), I can just keep everything under one source controlled project in VS.

My question arose from the idea that a completely independent team member may specialize in using the VGB tooling. His/her job would be too collect the Kinect raw files, organize the VGB project(s), and to be sure that these files were maintained and versioned for the lifetime of the project. That individual would not necessarily be using Visual Studio.

And while you added information about NuGet packages for Kinect, I don't see how they 'plug-in' and function within VS 2013. I mean the functionality of VGB is still only available in the stand-alone tooling AFAIK.

Am I missing something in VS after I install the NuGet package for VGB you mentioned above?

Monday, September 22, 2014 5:36 PM
  • The NuGet package will provide your applications the require core machine learning components required for your application to parse and use the databases you generate.

VGB is a tool and an SDK. To generate the gestures for your application, you will use both KStudio to record clips and VGB to tag clips to generate the final database. Once the database is made you technically don't need the project/clips but a good practice to keep around. You app only needs the database.

Keep in mind the size of the clips and how much of an impact that will be on your source control database. If someone is offsite recording clips, the best method may be external storage and shipping the drive.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 6:22 PM