Hardware Recommendation for developing Windows 8 Metro style apps

General discussion

• Hi everyone,

this is a bit out of topic, but I hope you can help me. I am looking for device that I can use for Windows 8 development AND day to day work. I was hoping to find powerful & touch enabled devices that have a resolution of either 1366x768, 1920x1080 or 2560x1440. I can find some options for the 1366x768 resolution like the Samsung Series 7 Slate or a Dell build to order Notebook - however I find it hard to use such a low resolution device for day to day work. I know that Metro style apps work fine with a mouse as well, but I think to finetune the experience a touch enabled monitor is best.

My background is that I'm on a decent mac book, I'm actually a Apple user for more than 10 years now. However Windows Phone & the recent Apple policies convinced me to go for Windows 8. So here I am, asking myself what to do - and of course I want to do the switch NOW. Right now my best guess would be to get the Samsung 7 Slate PLUS a desktop computer for the office, however that would be not ideal. What hardware do you guys use and do you think a 'simple' tablet suffices for testing?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Metro makes me Mappy
    Monday, January 16, 2012 10:50 PM

All replies

• Hello enough2000,

Please review the following post regarding Hardware for Windows Developer Preview.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/13/experiencing-windows-8-touch-on-windows-7-hardware.aspx

In the blog, Experiencing Windows 8 touch on Windows 7 hardware, there is a list of hardware on which the Microsoft Lab
    tested Windows Developer Preview. This might help with your search.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:11 PM
  • resolution of either 1366x768, 1920x1080 or 2560x1440...

Just to be sure to have mentioned it, I would like an option to seamlessly magnify the symbols and fonts used on the desktop (and perhaps, as well in the Metro part of Windows). This is, because a resolution of 2560x1440 on a 17'' screen literally causes eye cancer. It is no pleasure to work at such a resolution.

Even though, two approaches are known: "DPI Settings" and the Magnifier. Unfortunately, "DPI Settings" do not perform gracefully and can break many UI elements, and the Magnifier is hardly convenient. Thus, something better, reimagined ;) , would be appreciated.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:23 PM
  • Hello Sven R. Kunze,

I suggest you send comments about the issue in the connect website.

You can submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program. If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

If you are prompted for an invitation code, please enter the following key. MSDN-76H9-3CFP

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=MSDN-76H9-3CFP

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:52 PM