Report Template for Report Builder RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

Is there any way that I can create a template for the report builder that has my company's logo, Company's name etc.I am using Report Builder 3.0 and SQL 2008 R2.

Also, can I open a .rdl created in the report designer (BIDS) in the report builder, (2008 BIDS in 3.0 Report builder).I read that you cannot but is there any work around.

And the Vice Versa, opening report builder report in BIDS can be done, but I would like to know whether this also has any limitations.

Thank you

Monday, August 15, 2011 8:02 PM

Answers

• Hi s_rookie,

Based on your requirement, we can create a report template in BI Development Studio. In order to achieve this, we need to copy the custom report the ReportProject folder on the computer on which BI Development Studio is installed. Please refer to the steps below:
    1. Open BI Development Studio tool, and then design a report which is include the company logo, name and so on.
    2. If we are using 64 bit system, copy the RDL file to the following path:
        <driver>:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\ProjectItems\ReportProject
    3. Create a new Report Server Project. In the Solution Explorer window, right-click on “Reports” node and Add-> New Item, we can find the custom report template.

Here is a screenshot of my example:

In addition, the reports create by Report Builder 3.0 or BIDS 2008 R2 have the same schema, and all reports will become compatible. For more information about Designing Reports in Report Designer and Report Builder 3.0 (SSRS), please see:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159253.aspx

Regards,
    Bin Long

Forum Support
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Elvis Long Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:31 AM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:50 AM

All replies

• Hi s_rookie,

Based on your requirement, we can create a report template in BI Development Studio. In order to achieve this, we need to copy the custom report the ReportProject folder on the computer on which BI Development Studio is installed. Please refer to the steps below:
    1. Open BI Development Studio tool, and then design a report which is include the company logo, name and so on.
    2. If we are using 64 bit system, copy the RDL file to the following path:
        <driver>:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\ProjectItems\ReportProject
    3. Create a new Report Server Project. In the Solution Explorer window, right-click on “Reports” node and Add-> New Item, we can find the custom report template.

Here is a screenshot of my example:

In addition, the reports create by Report Builder 3.0 or BIDS 2008 R2 have the same schema, and all reports will become compatible. For more information about Designing Reports in Report Designer and Report Builder 3.0 (SSRS), please see:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159253.aspx

Regards,
    Bin Long

Forum Support
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Elvis Long Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:31 AM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:50 AM
  • I believe he was looking to create a template for Report Builder 3.0

The tool used to write reports against models that doesn't require BIDS to be installed.

I have a similar question as creating templates for reports would be a very nice to have.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Hi,

Yes it is possible to create a report template for report builder.

You can either use an existing report save it as your compnay report template and then add in your company logo, name etc.

Or you can create a new report with your company logo, name etc.

When you need to create a report open up the report template and use save as and create new report and then make the necessary changes.

You can open up reports created in BIDS in report builder and vica versa the rdl file is the same, however some reports created in BIDS may have the datasource info missing.

To open a report created in BIDs in report builder you just need to find the rdl file and open it .

BIDS does have a better design environment but the main issue for me is that you need add rdl reports to the solution before you can open them. You are unable to open the reports directly from report manager. Also when deploy them you need to set the url report path to deploy the report to report manager. This can be problematic when you have large number of reports as reports get moved around on report manager and you would have to change the url report path each time a report was moved from onle folder to anothe on report manager.

Report Builder is whole lot easier to use as you can open reports directly form report manager and then save them back if you need to make a change.

Thanks

Friday, September 23, 2011 8:47 AM
  • My solution to this was to set up a staging folder in Report Manager. this way you are never misplacing reports or mistakenly overwriting reports.
    Friday, December 9, 2011 9:00 PM