none
Kinect V2 extension cable for 250ft install at children's hospital RRS feed

• General discussion

• We have 5 of http://www.icron.com/products/icron-brand/usb-extenders/fiber/usb-3-0-spectra-3022/ for our 50ft interactive wall experience that was supposed to open up this week in Delaware Nemours Children's Hospital. We have 5 bays with 5 Kinect V2s over distance of 250ft.

I can confirm that that they didn't work over 250 ft optical cable (although advertised they would by icron). Any ideas? We are in the middle of installation and are overnighting Kinect V1s just to switch to USB 2.0.

Here is the response we received from ICRON - does this mean it is Kinect team that needs to resolve how they're sending data over USB?

Unfortunately the USB 3.0 Spectra 3022 has a specific limitation when extending the XBox Kinect. The distance that we can reliably extend for the Kinect is 30 meters. While the extender will work without problems with other USB 3.0 devices, the design of the Kinect makes it so we cannot extend it to the maximum distance we advertised. We are trying to find alternative solutions for this issue but currently we do not have a work-around solution. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

• Edited by Dogan Demir Monday, August 25, 2014 9:10 PM
    Monday, August 25, 2014 9:07 PM

All replies

• The Kinect team does not test extenders themselves as the hardware/bandwidth requirements of the device have been specifically designed with the hub and cabling in the box.

The device recommendation came from the team that handles the Xbox events. They handle the setup of the demos on-stage. I have passed along your feedback to them to see if they are aware of that limitation and if they have any other feedback.

They also recommend these fiber cables for lengths of 100feet.

http://www.amazon.com/Multimode-Duplex-Fiber-Optic-Cable/dp/B00551K11C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1389827649&sr=8-4&keywords=100m+fiber+lc

Are you daisy-chaining the devices to get to 250ft?

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:06 PM
  • The Kinect v2 uses both ISOC and BULK mode transfer. Based on the note on the website, "50m with storage type USB 3.0 devices; 100m or more is achievable when using USB 3.0 bulk traffic cameras." you may need to ensure the model supports the ISOC mode which may be the issue.

Another active optical cable (AoC) system you can try is http://www.unibrain.com/products/usb-3-0-active-optical-cables It supports lengths of 20 - 25 meters, but there could be other issues. Again, these are not systems that are tested by the team. You will have to test and ensure this fits the scenarios you are deploying to.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:14 PM
  • Dogan,

I am in a similar situation where our video walls are roughly 150ft from the PC's. I was researching the Kinect v2 and Icron extenders, after a discussion with them I hit the internet and found this.

Was your solution to stick with the v1 Kinect? How did the project turn out?

Thank you in advance,

Nick

Friday, January 9, 2015 7:33 PM
  • You guys who want to extend the Kinect for Windows v2 should definately try our USB 3.0 repeater cable: FireNEX-uLINK. It the world's longest cooper cable that goes up to 16m and garrenteed to work with Kinect!

Friday, May 29, 2015 10:42 PM