none
MS-PST: constructing minimal empty .PST - how to find out what is missing/wrong RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, all.

I implemented all that MS-PST spec says. All requirements of topic 2.7 are met. The scanpst.exe ends up with:

An error has occurred which caused the scan to be stopped. No changes have been made to the scanned file.

In scanpst's log we have:

Microsoft (R) Inbox Repair Tool

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1995-1996. All rights reserved.

**Beginning NDB recovery

**Attempting to open database

**Attempting to validate header

**Attempting to validate AMap

**Attempting to validate BBT

**Attempting to validate NBT

Fatal Error: 80040813

Great! So what? What's wrong? What is missing?
    Outlook can't open it - it sees some error and offers to use scanpst.
    Where to dig now?
    In addition two more specific questions.
    1. In spec there is description of Named Property Lookup Map (topic 2.4.7). But nothing about when, where and how to use it. What's about it???
    2. There are two folders:
      -- 'SPAM Search Folder 2' (PC.nid = 0x02223, CT.nid = 0x02230)
      -- 'Search Root' (PC.nid = 0x0723, CT.nid = 0x0730)
    that actually (if we will read any valid pst-file made by outlook) don't have HT and ACT as it defined in topic 2.4.4.7 Anatomy of a Folder Hierarchy.
    This is my guess. Am I right?
    If it so then I suppose that there can be many other dark corners in spec.
    If I'm wrong - then how it is actually organized???
    Moreover - nowhere in spec is explicitly said that folder 'SPAM Search Folder 2' should use exactly these predefined NID's. The same with 'Search Root'.
    Or maybe there is spec where all this described fully???
    Pls, I need your assistance!
    My time to complete work is over.
    A lot of thanks in advance!!!
    Looking forward to your help.

• Edited by committed Saturday, December 3, 2011 9:53 PM
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 9:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi committed,

Thanks for posting on the MSDN Forum. One of our support engineers will respond soon.

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

Saturday, December 3, 2011 10:28 PM
  • Hi Committed, scanpst.exe is not a utility that is supported by the Open Specifications group. You should post questions related to that tool in the Outlook IT Pro Discussions forum.

I am currently looking into your other questions about the Named Property Lookup Map and the search folders you mentioned and will provide more information about that soon.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team
    Monday, December 5, 2011 4:52 PM
  • Hi Committed, I believe that I have addressed your other questions in the other thread you created.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 9:15 PM
  • I asked 'how to find out'..... I wanted to know what there are the ways of understanding, analyzing, detecting, checking, verifying and whatever else..... And you really think that you have answered? :)
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:47 PM