none
Making a backup copy of a project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am working with vb.net 2015 and notice it is not easy to make a backup of my project. What I would like to do is as I am developing the application and get to a certain point I want to make a copy of it and then work on the backup copy so if I screw up any of the logic I can resort to the first one. Is there a way of accomplishing this?

Thanks

Les

Sunday, September 2, 2018 9:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Leshay,

I have asked several times as to whether I can do it this way or not and everyone is suggesting to use this TFS or Dpack utiity??I Personally if it works by just renaming the Project folder I prefer to do it that way but if that method does not work then I have no choice but to work with one of them.  I would like an explanation as to why I cant make a copy of the Project folder and rename it vs using one of the recommended utilities.  Please members don't think I am not greatful for all the help you all have provided me over the years but I just want to be able to understand why or why not.

Thanks,

Les

Hi

I have used my own BackUp application to do this for a long time now, but it indeed just does the same as the manual method I previously used (as below)

Just to be clear, this is typical of what I used to do.

At a point in a project development, where I feel that it isn't junk after all, I right click on the project folder (for example, it may be named 'WindowsApp4", and select Copy, navigate to destination (which initially may be the in the same folder) and right click there and select paste (a copy is pasted -if in same folder, with 'Copy' appended to name).

Many many times, after screwing things up in a developing project, I have had to restore from backuo - all I do is copy/paste from backup over existing project folder, accept warnings about overwriting, and reload project from restore folder and continue.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

• Edited by leshay Monday, September 3, 2018 6:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Les2011 Tuesday, September 4, 2018 2:04 AM
    Monday, September 3, 2018 6:18 PM

All replies

• You should learn how to use TFS Express or GitHub
    Sunday, September 2, 2018 9:38 PM
  • I use the option to create directory for the Solution. When it's time to create a work copy I just use the file system to make a copy, rename the copy appropriately and start working.
    C:\Users\devon\source\repos\2017\ExifData>dir
    Directory of C:\Users\devon\source\repos\2017\ExifData
    03/18/2018  10:45 AM    <DIR>          ExifData - V1
    03/20/2018  04:18 PM    <DIR>          ExifData - V2
    03/20/2018  06:32 PM    <DIR>          ExifData - V3

Sunday, September 2, 2018 9:51 PM
  • Hi

Same as Devon here - so simple and straightforward.

Sunday, September 2, 2018 10:21 PM
  • Hi Devon,

I am not sure what TFS is? Are you saying that I could use Windows Explorer, make a copy of the folder and rename that folder to say version 2 and everything is ok?  The reason I ask is when I did that I noticed there was still a lot of files within the sub folders that still had names that referred to the original project.  Is that something that is irrelevant?

Thanks in advance.

Les

Monday, September 3, 2018 1:34 AM
  • You very best option is what DA924x recommended which is TFS.

Once your Visual Studio solution is setup you can

• Access the solution from any computer.
    • Works in Visual Studio via Team Explorer.
    • Permits bug tracking.
    • Create changesets which in plain English means you can make changes, something does not work so rollback to a earlier changeset. Couple this with version control, changesets and version control go hand and hand together.
    • Merge changes from a team mate.
    • It's free for small amount of users (or one)
    • Much more to explore.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Monday, September 3, 2018 3:18 AM
  • I am not sure what TFS is? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Foundation_Server

TFS Express is free to use and is a whole lot  better than copying project files all over the place. And if you make a change to the project or the source code, you can just simply un-checkout the code put it back to its original state before the change.

Monday, September 3, 2018 3:22 AM
  • Hi Devon,

I am not sure what TFS is? Are you saying that I could use Windows Explorer, make a copy of the folder and rename that folder to say version 2 and everything is ok?  The reason I ask is when I did that I noticed there was still a lot of files within the sub folders that still had names that referred to the original project.  Is that something that is irrelevant?

Thanks in advance.

Les

With no disrespect to those who like to use the file system but there are downsides to this method where the only true downside to TFS is if you have no Internet connection. It's secure and robust way to manage your code.

We use it to the point that if a unit test fails (and we commonly have over 1,000 and to up 3,000 unit test) the code is rejected by TFS by custom rules we wrote. This is most likely advance options for you if you don't write unit test and should consider writing unit test.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Monday, September 3, 2018 3:22 AM
  • Hi Karen

Thanks for your response.  All the bulleted items you mentioned don't apply for me.  This is a project I am developing on just my home computer and there is no one else working with me and I prefer not to use a roll back feature if I don't have to, etc etc.  In my previous post I asked the question if I can just make a copy of the project etc etc but have not rcvd feedback yet about me using that solution unless that solution I asked about does not work.  I certainly appreciate any thoughts and guidance people here give me and always will.  I am very surprised that there is not an option to SAVE PROJECT as which would be very useful.

Thanks,

Les

Monday, September 3, 2018 4:03 AM
  • Hi DA,

If it is only a folder I have to rename then I much prefer to do it that way.  ie If I am working with Project A and I want to duplicate it I much rather just copy the Project folder and paste it in the same directory of vb.net and rename the folder Project A-copy to Project B.

Atleast that's what I prefer to do if possible.

Les

Monday, September 3, 2018 4:05 AM
  • Then use Dpack (it's free) which provides an option to zip your solution/project. The zip file name is the solution name. Once done then alter the name e.g. myproject.zip to myproject_version1.zip

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=SergeyM.DPack-16348

VB Forums - moderator

Monday, September 3, 2018 4:35 AM
  • Hi Karen,

Are you saying all I have to do is first zip the project folder and then change the name and then unzip it??  Can I use 7 or 9 zip for this?

Thank you

Les

Monday, September 3, 2018 4:57 AM
  • Hi Karen,

I went to get info on the link you provided and it looks like there is a lot more to making a backup then meets the eye.  It does not look like I could use Windows Explorer to make a backup.  I guess I will do a little more research on this utility you mentioned to see how difficult a tool it is to use.  The last this I need is to lose or corrupt my project. 

Les

Monday, September 3, 2018 5:02 AM
  • I have never had an issue and in fact a few times have renamed the folders again after I got to V9, I renamed the others to 01,02,03 etc so that 10 would be in a logical order. the .sln file has relative paths. Have you tried this ? You could also create a brand new folder elsewhere and copy all the files to it and see if that works.

Monday, September 3, 2018 7:08 AM
  • Here is how to use DPack. Once the zip file has been created you will see the following

Rename it, move it to a backup folder in a folder above the current folder. Do the same for other projects. The file name indicates the version and you have the date/time stamp for when it was created.

VB Forums - moderator

Monday, September 3, 2018 12:29 PM
  • Hi

I have used the File Explorer to make backup copies of just about every project/code snippet I have and have *never* had an issue. I have backed up to my local HDD and  to my NAS - I have not used any compression or any other 3rd party application - just plain file copy.

Monday, September 3, 2018 1:52 PM
  • Hi Leshay,

I have asked several times as to whether I can do it this way or not and everyone is suggesting to use this TFS or Dpack utiity??I Personally if it works by just renaming the Project folder I prefer to do it that way but if that method does not work then I have no choice but to work with one of them.  I would like an explanation as to why I cant make a copy of the Project folder and rename it vs using one of the recommended utilities.  Please members don't think I am not greatful for all the help you all have provided me over the years but I just want to be able to understand why or why not.

Thanks,

Les

Monday, September 3, 2018 6:00 PM
  • Hi Leshay,

Thanks,

Les

Hi

I have used my own BackUp application to do this for a long time now, but it indeed just does the same as the manual method I previously used (as below)

Just to be clear, this is typical of what I used to do.

At a point in a project development, where I feel that it isn't junk after all, I right click on the project folder (for example, it may be named 'WindowsApp4", and select Copy, navigate to destination (which initially may be the in the same folder) and right click there and select paste (a copy is pasted -if in same folder, with 'Copy' appended to name).

Many many times, after screwing things up in a developing project, I have had to restore from backuo - all I do is copy/paste from backup over existing project folder, accept warnings about overwriting, and reload project from restore folder and continue.

• Edited by leshay Monday, September 3, 2018 6:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Les2011 Tuesday, September 4, 2018 2:04 AM
    Monday, September 3, 2018 6:18 PM
  • Hey Les,

I thank you so much for detailing your procedure.  So in effect I could use Windows Explorer to accomplish the same thing.  The reason I initially posted this concern was that when I copy the project folder I noticed a lot of the files within the sub folders had reference to the original project but this may be due to the fact that no changes were done to those files just a guess.

Thanks,

Les

Monday, September 3, 2018 6:32 PM
  • Hey Les,

I thank you so much for detailing your procedure.  So in effect I could use Windows Explorer to accomplish the same thing.  The reason I initially posted this concern was that when I copy the project folder I noticed a lot of the files within the sub folders had reference to the original project but this may be due to the fact that no changes were done to those files just a guess.

Thanks,

Les

Hi

An easy thing to do would be to try it out using a COPY of a complex project.

Monday, September 3, 2018 6:42 PM
  • Hi Les

Great minds think alike <S> I will certainly do that.

Take care Les and thank you.

Les

Monday, September 3, 2018 7:17 PM