TFS XAML Build slow copy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are experiencing a slowness with TFS Build, might have been always the case, but looking into it now.

if i copy the bin folder manually using windows, xcopy or RoboCopy it is significantly faster than the time it takes MSBuild/TFS to copy the bin folder to the drop folder.

Is there something else that TFS does using this copy step that may take time ?

Please let me in speeding this process up, without making a custom drop step.

Nico

Monday, February 27, 2017 8:15 AM

All replies

• Remember that the copy also copy log files.

You can try enable the verbose logging on the build to see the time for each step.

Are you testing with the same account as the buildaccount and using the exact same UNC paths?

Monday, February 27, 2017 8:34 AM
  • Hi Nico,

Thank you for posting here.

Please post the detailed log information here about your build here.

And create a small a project and new a xmal build definition for it. Check if a small project also cost long time?

Did you try other build server(agents) and does it also take a long time? Copy to a share folder which is located on your build agent, is it slow?

Best regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 6:43 AM
  • Sorry for the late reply.

i have not been able to work on this troubleshooting much.

For now we have worked around the issue to zip the drop before dropping it, which makes it a lot faster as well since our drop contains thousands of small files.

When testing i was able to narrow the issue down to our new Windows 10 computers, which copies slower than our old Windows 7 build computer.

Nico

Friday, March 3, 2017 12:33 PM
  • Hi Nico,

Glad to hear that you have found the workaround solution and thank you for sharing your experience here. Could you please mark the reply I proposed above as the answer for this issue. It will be beneficial for other communities who have similar issues.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 6, 2017 5:23 AM