none
Construction schedule - MSP RRS feed

• Question

• Can anybody help me in preparing the time schedule for the below activities ??. The total time duration is 75 days.

• Extruded Aluminum Profile  Procurement
    • Glass Procurement
    • Site Measurements, setting out and verification
    • Submit Shop drawings for First Floor Glazing
    • Obtain shop drawing Approval For First Floor Glazing
    • Submit Shop Drawings For Ground Floor Glazing
    • Obtain shop drawing Approval For First Floor Glazing
    • Material delivery to site
    • Factory Fabrication of Frame 
    • Factory Fabrication of Glass(G-01)
    • Installation of First Floor Frames
    • Installation of First Floor Glass
    • Installation of Ground Floor Frames
    • Installation of Ground Floor Glass
    • Water and Air Testing and Rectification
    • Issue of Site Completion Certificate
    • Issue of warranties
    • Glazing and Site Cleaning
    • Site Handover

Many Thanks

Geo

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 1:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Geos,

First of all, I assume that you have the MS Project software, version 2010 or 2013.

Then I'm afraid that you should start from the basis with some tutorials on internet. Or better taking a course. MS Project has many scheduling concepts that should be masterized in order to have an appropriate "return on investment".

Basically, either I write a 10 pages reply, or I just tell you (which is REALLY REALLY a shortcut):

1. open a blank new project
    2. create the resources in the resource sheet
    3. create the task name in the Gantt chart view
    4. enter durations
    5. create relationships between tasks
    6. assign resources on task and adjust the work/units
    7. save a Baseline

Here are 3 tutorials to start with:

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 1:27 PM
  • Thank you.

Yes I am familiar with MSP 2007.

I just wanted a time duration for each task with constraints (SS,FS etc)...and I have 75 days total to complete these activities. Can you help me in doing this to check it with I've done.

BR

GEO

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 1:40 PM
  • If you are familiar with MS Project 2007, you should have no problem.

Then it depends if you want to use resources assignment as well in order to manage your project tracking versus your capacity.

I'd suggest that you create the dependencies between task first, then estimate each single task duration or work. Eventually assign resources and see if it goes under 75 days total.

You can always share a screenshot of your plan here, since it doesn't contain too many tasks.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 1:46 PM
  • I NEED THE DEPENDENCIES ACTUALLY, WITH DURATION ... CAN U MAKE A SUGGESTION ON THE DEPENDENCIES & DURATION SO THAT I CAN COMPARE IT WITH WHAT I HAVE...I AM A BEGINNER IN SCHEDULING.

THANKS

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 2:00 PM
  • Geos,

You must be kidding me??

How can you imagine that I can by any mean help you defining durations and dependencies on your project? I do not know your field, I know nothing about flooring and glazing (don't even know what does that means in English)!

I (we), as Project experts in this forum, can only help you on the scheduling methodology and MS Project usage, but absolutely not about your project content.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 2:08 PM
  • OMG!!!

OK LEAVE IT ..ITS RELATED TO CONSTRUCTION FIELD (AS MENTIONED IN THE TITLE)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND REPLIES..

I WILL MANAGE IT. THANKS

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 2:15 PM
  • GEOS,

We know nothing of your project and we don't have a working crystal ball. I bought my 15th last week and its no better than the first :-(

It is impossible for anyone to add dependencies accurately for you without you telling us your construction methodology.

We can't guess the procurement durations without talking to your suppliers who do have your drawings?

We can't guess fabrication durations without your drawings and knowledge of your tools, people, resources, productivity rates, availability....

Try developing durations and task sequences yourself first on paper. Then maybe on Excel, then copy to Project.

Your job is first to gather all that information, then to communicate how it all fits together using a schedule.

Good luck!

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Friday, April 24, 2015 3:53 AM