Error while opening the power pivot (xlsx) file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have created a power pivot table using excel 2010. While creating the power pivot table I was able to view the Gemini Task Pane. But once I save and reopen it, I am getting an error when I click on pivot table to view the Gemini task pane as:

Either the user,<Domain>\Username, doesnot have access to the MS_257.....abcd7654 database or database does not exists. Embedded gemini data is corrupt.   What am I missing?

Nitesh Rai- Please mark the post as answered if it answers your question
    Friday, April 9, 2010 6:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Nitesh,

This issue does not reproduce in the latest build.

Regards,

John Desch.

• Proposed as answer by Meghann [MSFT] Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nitesh Rai Friday, April 16, 2010 2:39 AM
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 2:33 PM

All replies

• Nitesh,

Hi.  So you were able to create the Pivot Table just fine in PowerPivot without error, but now upon ropening there are issues?

What build of PowerPivot are you on?  Is this hitting a SQL database or some type of other database? And what permissions does your domain\user have on the database?

~Meghann [MSFT]

Friday, April 9, 2010 3:22 PM
  • Yes, I am able to create the power pivot table wihtout any error. I am using the newly-released-with-extended-expiration-date 64 bit version of power pivot for excel 2010. I am hitting SQL Serevr 2008 R2 database on local box. domain\username is member of sysadmin server role.
    Friday, April 9, 2010 3:30 PM
  • Nitesh,

Okay, let me do a new installation with all the builds specified above with the new download and confirm.  What client OS are you using, Win 7, XP, Vista? Also which build of Excel 2010 are you using?

Also assuming by using SQL 2008 R2 you are connecting to a relational table? Or are you doing connection to an AS cube?

Did this machine have a previous Gemini build on it? Or is this a clean installation with the new extended release bits?

~Meghann [MSFT]

Monday, April 12, 2010 3:19 PM
  • Hi,

I also have the same problem as Nitesh. I just want to add that I tried with importing a simple text file and after I saved and reopened the xlsx file, this error showed. I am running Excel 2010 RC on Windows 7 Enterprise x86 with a fresh installation of PowerPivot for Excel (CTP3) and November CTP of SQL Server 2008 R2. I also tried to create a new report with the Administrator account in case there are some hidden security issues but I guess it is not that (or at least that error happens and for the privileged account).

Ivan

Monday, April 12, 2010 9:36 PM
  • What client OS are you using, Win 7, XP, Vista?

Windows Server 2008

Also which build of Excel 2010 are you using?

Version: 14.0.4734.1000 (64 bit)

Also assuming by using SQL 2008 R2 you are connecting to a relational table?

Yes, I am connecting to a database on SQL Server 2008 R2 server and selecting some 5 tables. Not using cubes.

Did this machine have a previous Gemini build on it? Or is this a clean installation with the new extended release bits?

Yes, I have installed the power pivot for excel 2010 before the new release. Once the earlier verison expired, I re-installed the new version. Have not done anything to uninstall the earlier version. Neither I was prompted to do so. Could that be a reason??

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:28 AM
  • Nitesh,

I am actually surprised it allowed you to install without telling you there was a previous installation on it?  I may have to re-test and put the 'expired' one on, and then try to load over the top. As a best practice, it is always good to uninstall something like this before you install the newer build.

I will test this then today and most likely will get back to you later tonight or tomorrow on the results.

~Meghann [MSFT]

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 4:55 PM
  • Ivan,

That is interesting.  I will look into this as well and do a text file as well as a SQL data source and ping back with my results.

~Meghann [MSFT]

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 4:55 PM
  • Hey,

I have reproduced the error.  So I will need to work with the others to figure out what is happening.

I will update you as soon as I can.

~Meghann

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Nitesh,

I am actually surprised it allowed you to install without telling you there was a previous installation on it?  I may have to re-test and put the 'expired' one on, and then try to load over the top. As a best practice, it is always good to uninstall something like this before you install the newer build.

I will test this then today and most likely will get back to you later tonight or tomorrow on the results.

~Meghann [MSFT]

I have uninstalled and installed Office14 before reinstalling the new version of Power Pivot for excel.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:35 PM
  • Hi Nitesh,

This issue does not reproduce in the latest build.

Regards,

John Desch.

• Proposed as answer by Meghann [MSFT] Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nitesh Rai Friday, April 16, 2010 2:39 AM
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 2:33 PM
  • This issue does not reproduce in the latest build.

Hi John,

Are you refering to the latest version of Excel Power Pivot?

Thursday, April 15, 2010 1:09 AM
  • Hi Nitesh,

Correct, I'm using the latest build.

Regards,

John Desch

Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:45 PM
  • Thanks John and Meghann for your help. Request you to please let me know where can I get the latest build from?

Friday, April 16, 2010 2:39 AM
  • Nitesh,

Let me do some digging on when that will be available.  Most likely will get back to you in the next day or so on that for you.

Thanks,

~Meghann

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 4:56 PM
  • Nitesh,

Let me do some digging on when that will be available.  Most likely will get back to you in the next day or so on that for you.

Thanks,

~Meghann

Thanks...

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:04 PM
  • I am facing the same problem. 'Funny' thing is that I did not have the problem on the Office2010Beta. Now I installed the RTM and it appears. Looking forward to 'the latest build'.
    Friday, April 23, 2010 3:04 PM
  • Nilesh,

It sounds like the release should be the first week of May.  When ti does release, there will be some sort of general public announcement.  So stay tuned!

~Meghann

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:36 PM
  • Erwin,

That is exactly the problem Nilesh is having.  But we did test it on the latest build that will be coming out the first week of May. So stayed tuned for that release.

Thanks,
    ~Meghann

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:36 PM
  • Hi Meghann,

I'm also having the same problem. i was wondering if there is any more news about the latest build as of yet, and will we be able to tell when its out? or will we just have to keep uninstalling/ downloading/reinstalling/testing the build on the powerpivot page until it works?

Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:21 AM
  • Ryan,

We will get back to you on the exact release date of PowerPivot.

Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:41 PM
  • OK I checked, as of now it'll be available within the next 2 weeks. I don't have an exact date for you, but definitely in the next fortnight.
    Friday, May 7, 2010 6:11 PM
  • OK I checked, as of now it'll be available within the next 2 weeks. I don't have an exact date for you, but definitely in the next fortnight.

Thanks Vikram...I am waiting :)
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 1:32 AM
  • Any updates on RTM availibility?
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:00 AM
  • Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:44 AM