Cannot create a storage pool RRS feed

• Question

• From @burriseng via Twitter:

I am experiencing a problem after setting up cluster nodes. Receiving a communications error between admin console and one node. I cannot create a storage pool.

Original Message:

Still having issues with my cluster in #Azure. Not really an issue with the product, I'm not sure I am doing it in the right order. I have 3 cluster nodes configured correctly. I can see the disks on all the nodes, but can't create a storage pool. Communications error between admin console on one node to....The cluster itself. Also getting errors related to WinRM.

@AzureSupport

Friday, June 5, 2015 7:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you are using your Windows  Server 2012 R2 image, then not provided by the Azure Gallery, be aware of a bug preventing you from configuring “Storage Pools”: it has been fixed in late January, there is no public Knowledge Base article available, but if you have applied regular OS updates via Windows Update, you will have the hotfix included. NOTE: This problem did not affect Windows Server 2012.
    Even if, in theory, you can include all the available disks in the pool, this will not scale adding more than 4 disks, you can read the details in the following white paper: 

Performance Guidance for SQL Server in Windows Azure Virtual Machines

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlcat/archive/2013/06/17/performance-guidance-for-sql-server-in-windows-azure-virtual-machines.aspx  

• IMPORTANT: Do not use standard Windows Server disk striping      technology, it will not scale at all and will give you very bad      performances!
    • Specifically for SQL Server,      the performance difference between using multiple SQL Server database data      files vs. storage space with multiple disks is negligible: use the storage      space solution if you prefer to have a simpler SQL Server configuration.      For transaction log, instead, if you need more than 500 IOPS, you have to      use storage spaces, no other way to increase I/O performances; more      details are available in the white paper I mentioned above.
    • Be sure to disable Azure      storage geo-replication for the accounts where the disks used for the      storage pool reside: geo-replication is asynchronous and Azure will not      guarantee replication orders among different disks/blobs. This will also      provide you a 33% cost reduction for the storage consumption.
    • Before installing and  configuring SQL Server in Azure VM environment, be sure to read the following article:

Performance Considerations for SQL Server in Azure Virtual Machines

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn133149.aspx

If this did not help, please provide information about the set up and the exact error message you are getting.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Saturday, June 6, 2015 11:50 AM