WinMM.lib function names changed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,  I'm currently, and have for years, been building and running C++ applications using the Windows multimedia library. Recently I had occasion to check the documentation on some of the functions, and the names appear to have changed. As an example, I use function OpenMidiOut(), now the applicable name seems to be midiOutOpen(), same for many others. The argument structure has also changed. 

Is this a new version of the library, if so how can I update my development environment? Alternatively, is the functionality like-for-like, ie. can I keep going with what I'm using now without problems?

My platform is VS15, using MFC.

TIA

bv

Monday, September 17, 2018 8:42 AM

Answers

• Castorix is completely correct. waveInOpen, waveOutOpen, midiInOpen, midiOutOpen -- those names go back more than 20 years.  You must have had your own OpenMidiOut function that called the winmm versions.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• Marked as answer by BruceVx Tuesday, September 18, 2018 1:28 AM
    Monday, September 17, 2018 10:05 PM

All replies

• It has always been midiOutOpen (even in MMSystem.DLL in 16-bit)

• Proposed as answer by Tim Roberts Monday, September 17, 2018 10:04 PM
    Monday, September 17, 2018 9:10 AM
  • Castorix is completely correct. waveInOpen, waveOutOpen, midiInOpen, midiOutOpen -- those names go back more than 20 years.  You must have had your own OpenMidiOut function that called the winmm versions.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• Marked as answer by BruceVx Tuesday, September 18, 2018 1:28 AM
    Monday, September 17, 2018 10:05 PM
  • THanks, Tim, and my apologies also. I should have picked it, it was an obj file in the project that encapsulated the library functions. I should have picked it, your post was the key I needed. 

bv

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 1:28 AM