Which process to attach while debugging Custom Pipeline Component running on Isolated Host? RRS feed

• Question

• I have to debug a custom pipeline componets running on a WCF-CustomIsolated adapter on Windows 2008 64bit env with IIS7, BizTalk 2009. I dont see any process called - w3wp.exe to attach on VS debugger. I also created 32bit app pool to run the service, still I dont see any process to attach to VS 2008. I would really appreciate any clue.
    I can not use any other tool debug as I my client platform is Java where I have problem. I dont have issues from a .net client.

Thursday, May 5, 2011 9:25 PM

Answers

• The application pool process (w3wp.exe) is typically not started until the first request is received.

You can use a browser to access the receive location Url, this should return a Wsdl and should cause the w3wp.exe process to initiate. 

• Proposed as answer by Dan Rosanova Friday, May 6, 2011 6:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by RiteshC Saturday, May 7, 2011 4:58 PM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 9:56 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• The application pool process (w3wp.exe) is typically not started until the first request is received.

You can use a browser to access the receive location Url, this should return a Wsdl and should cause the w3wp.exe process to initiate. 

• Proposed as answer by Dan Rosanova Friday, May 6, 2011 6:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by RiteshC Saturday, May 7, 2011 4:58 PM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 9:56 AM
    Answerer
  • HI

wcf adapter is a wrapper for bts, so at firts is been called IIS, after wcf, and after the message is router to bts to follow the standard lifecycle.

w3wp have to be ON to use wcf from bts, if you dont see it from the attach process window, it may be because you use a too much low trusted user or you haven't checked the "all processes" checkbox......

instead to debug the pipeline you have to attach your debugger to the btsntsvc.exe process (biztalk itself)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd792691(v=BTS.10).aspx

Antonio Esposito
    MCT, MCPD, MCTS, MCP
    Friday, May 6, 2011 5:35 PM
  • Thanks Greg. It worked the way you said!!!

w3wp.exe will only show up in the list processes once open a browser and browse the wcf service.

Saturday, May 7, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Antonio, Sorry for replying late. Pipeline component actually executes on w3wp.exe. I too thopught the way you said and tried attaching btsntsvc.exe, but break point never reached. I did the way Greg said and it worked and he was right in his assesment. Thanks for jumping in and putting in your thought.
    Saturday, May 7, 2011 5:03 PM
  • thanks to you :)

i like learning something new

Antonio Esposito
    MCT, MCPD, MCTS, MCP
    http://dotnetlombardia.org
    Saturday, May 7, 2011 7:34 PM