Does the Globalisation system automatically swap in correct info? RRS feed

• Question

• User-444991860 posted
    I have a memory of reading about using resource files in such a way that the asp.net runtime would automatically read in the correct data and load it into page elements according to the culture the request came from if you had the correct satellite assemblies installed and the elements configured to run on the server. It now seems that this must have been a dream because I can find no information on it anywhere - it now looks as though I have to manually assign the correct values to every element on my page when I load it by doing a kind of element.Text=resourceManager.GetString(element) thing for each one. Is this correct? If it is, what is the point of the webform.aspx.cs.resx file that Visual Studio keeps creating for me?
    Wednesday, May 18, 2005 12:21 PM

All replies

• User-185961193 posted
    As far as I know that was the plan in the Beta release of .net. Things change because of deadlines as usual so it didn't got fully implemented. Now in ASP.Net 2.0 its much much easier ...
    Friday, May 20, 2005 11:20 PM
  • User-444991860 posted
    Great! I'll wait a couple of years for that to be production-ready then... I've kind of rolled my own now (using a subclass of Page, which it looks like I won't be able to do in 2.0, so it's lucky they're changing it, really) but it's quite annoying to have to do when from what I can tell everyone who is internationalizing an application wants to do pretty much the same thing.
    Monday, May 23, 2005 12:39 PM