Windows Search 4.0 Preview....a week later RRS feed

• Question

• <NOTE: This is an identical post to the one on the WDS Help forum>

On Thursday 3/27 we released Windows Search 4.0 Preview (WS4) – KB940157 refers - and now that it’s circulating we’d like to solicit more specific feedback. Some of you are already posting questions – thank you! Our engineers are definitely keen to hear what you have to say since this release has been a core stability and performance release. Noticeably you won’t see any UI changes, which was by design in order to keep us focused on the core needs – make search faster and more stable.

Here’s how you can help:

If you are seeing any of the following:

• problems with installation
    • issues with upgrade from earlier versions
    • experiencing any indexing issues or query issues since your WS4 installation
    • literally any issues that seem out of the ordinary on your particular OS – please report it!

We want to ensure the final release of this version is solid, so send us your feedback!

• Also - please include your OS, system and configuration information as well as the steps leading up to the issue noted, so that we can troubleshoot with you. We have support engineers standing by to work directly with you to get the problem resolved. 

We recognize that many people offer workarounds but solving your issue via a workaround and then reporting the issue does not help us find out what happened in the first place – we need your repro reported before you rectify it. Hence this forum is now being manned more actively and we are aiming to respond quickly and in a timely fashion to get the information and then get you working again.

Thanks for being here and evaluating WS4!

• Changed type michchool Wednesday, September 9, 2009 10:16 PM
    Friday, April 4, 2008 5:08 AM

All replies

• Hey, I love Windows Search in Vista...but if you're releasing a new version why don't you add a few more useful features which will enhance the overall Windows experience, such as a built in dictionary accesible from Instant Search? E.g. to find the definition of a word, all you'd have to do is type in 'define ******', similar to what you do on Live search. That would definitely prove useful to people who want a quick definition.

Also, is the new Search going to be released via Windows Update? Or will it be a standalone application?

Thanks and good luck!

Luke Buttigieg
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:15 AM
  • Love the fact that it's stopped thrashing my drives. Love it! Ver. 3 would reindex my 300,000 files nearly every day and I hated it. I have three Raptor 150's in a RAID so let me tell you, it's friggen LOUD!

The only problem I see so far is that the window size is always too small and goes back to this smaller size with every use. it's fine until I hit enter and then the bar with the document types slides over so that the Email option disappears. So I'm forced to resize the window just to click on email.

One quick feature request. I shouldn't have to memorize the syntax for what I'm looking for. In other words, if I want to search on filename only, why not make that a dropdown filter option somwhere?

Thanks -- mucho less intrusive on my work day now.

Scott

Thursday, May 8, 2008 3:31 AM
  • I'm struggling to install Windows Search 4.0 Preview (WS4) – KB940157. The installation fails and rolls back at Stage III, with the error code in Windows Update being

Update for Windows (KB940157)

Installation date: ‎5/‎9/‎2008 12:02 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80073AA2

Update type: Important

Microsoft Windows Search Update KB940157

More information:
    http://support.microsoft.com

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com

Saturday, May 10, 2008 6:14 PM
  • Could we please get a monthly update on the progress of WDS 4? I love Vista but have gone back to Copernic until you work everything out. Soon as my RSS feed says ver. 4 is ready (equal to Copernic), then we all switch over. But I keep looking at the RSS feed and there's nothing much new. Hope this doesn't go the way of other beta products that last, well, forever in beta!
    Monday, May 19, 2008 11:08 PM
  • Hi Michelle,

a

i installed WDS 3.01 in Dec07 and now when i install Windows search 4.0 , it fails saying it can't remove the previous version . i tried deleating it from registry too, didn't work still.

please help-- i have Windows XP professional Ver with service pack 3. 

Thanks

Yash  

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 10:50 PM
  •  

well i have exactly the same problem as yours. error code 80073AA2. i don't know what's that mean. i tried to reinstall a few times but still can't work. maybe someone can help us on this issue.

thanks.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:18 AM
  • I try to install on Vista Business 64-bit and get error 80073aa2. In the KB940157 article it says
    Windows Search 4.0 supports the following operating systems:
    32-bit versions of Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    64-bit versions of Windows Vista with SP1
    but at the bottom there is no mention of Business 64-bit.
    Is it OK for Business 64-bit or not?
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:05 AM
  • Well. I've uninstalled it.

It wouldn't find ANYTHING.

search for WP everywhere... nothing. I have scores of files that start with that, much less contain it...

Sorry.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 9:14 PM
  • My problem is that it has changed the default action in Explorer.  When right clicking or double clicking a Folder.

Instead of the action "Explore",  it now does Search.   I have not been able to figure out how to change this, and it slows me down.
    Friday, August 8, 2008 3:14 PM
  • Windows Vista Ultimate - SP1 installed.

I'm having the same failure problem as a previous post:

• Proposed as answer by Weipeng Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:27 AM
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:16 AM
  • I'm not sure if this is the right place, as it doesn't appear there are many posts on this thread, but I've been having an issue since installing WS4.  It seemed to install fine, and has finished indexing all my documents.  I get valid search results from my user account - however none of the other users at our house (including other Administrators) get ANY search results.  The indexed documents are available to all users, so I have to think this is an issue with the new Search.

I'm running Windows XP SP3.  I don't remember whether I installed WS4 first, or the service pack.

Any help would be appreciated.  It's been this way for several months now, and I'm tired of having to log into my user account just so someone in the house can do a search.

Monday, September 29, 2008 2:04 PM
  • I am having the same exact problem as a previous post over the past month with Automatic Updates and installing Windows Search 4.0. 

Anti-Virus: McAfee (if that matters)

Symptom:  The automatic installation starts and displays it's count of updates, does a restart, updates registration database entries during start-up and then brings up Windows.  Once I sign-on, it recognizes a failed installation and reverts everything back.

Error:

How soon can we get a response to this problem?  It's driving me nuts!!

Friday, October 3, 2008 5:15 PM
  • I cannot install on a xp pro system with sp3 loaded.  Tells me it can not remove old search program.  Removed old search program under control panel and restarted.  Program still gives same error.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:27 PM
  •  m2bjones wrote:
    I cannot install on a xp pro system with sp3 loaded.  Tells me it can not remove old search program.  Removed old search program under control panel and restarted.  Program still gives same error.

Greetings. I've installed WS4 succesfully. Upon running WS4, the next message appears:

search-ms:query=
    The parameter is not correct

The properties box shows as command: "C:\Program Files\Windows Desktop Search\WindowsSearch.exe"  /launchsearchwindow

Furthermore, the windows search tool used in folders doesn't work. I'm not sure if it was caused by the installation of WS4.

How can I solve it?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 1:04 AM
  • I had installed windows search 4 on windows xp sp3, and it kept making the system unstable, causing the taskbar to stop responding. Restarting explorer didn't help. I uninstalled it.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 10:42 PM
  • The interface was okay, but it seems a step backwards from the built in search.  Not to say WS4 is any worse than any this type of program.   They just basicially do nothing for me.  Perhaps it's just the generally worthless nature of them.

For WS4 specifically, the things I disliked the most was the default to "Desktop" in the dropdown, and that when I added the C drive to it, it didn't grab the subdirectories.  Either the functions aren't there at this point, or the methods to activate them are not where they should be; already set to on or in the user's face.

And the message when typing in addresses in IE8 -- GET RID OF IT.  "Download Windows Search to improve history and favorites results."   It's there every time I type in an address, and it is horrid.  I'm not seaching for anything, I'm typing in a URL.  Come on, who was it that thought that was a good idea?  Plus, it's a live link, to the KB, which tells you to install or activate the program.  Download it or enable it.  Duh.  And, no, I already tried it and I thought it sucked.  Tell me how to delete it. FAIL.

I found it all very annoying.   Needless to say, WS4 is no longer installed.  I'm starting to wish IE8 wasn't.  Too bad 7 and 6 are broken.   Sigh.

As long as I'm complianing about annoying things, that stupid favorites star icon at the left of the tabs area needs to GO.  Replace it with the homepage icon, or let us get rid of it.   Does anyone that implements this stuff actually use it?

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 4:18 PM
  • I am using an XP OS sp3 and I am having trouble just like Errold's, with his windows search 4.0, I just unistalled too but I would like to use the new search 4.0

Errold, have you solve this issue? I would definitely appreciate any replies that would help me.

Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 4:57 AM
  • I'm also struggling to install Windows Search 4.0 Preview (WS4) how do i fix it? Free seo tips & techniques
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:05 PM
  • You should uninstall it first and restart your computer. A fresh installation will solve your problem.

Trung tam list sim so dep.

• Edited by Max Viet Tuesday, January 27, 2015 3:45 AM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:18 AM
  • I have Vista SP2 installed in my computer and about 1 or 2 months ago I started having problems when changing the name of a file or when deleting a file: in the first case the computer will hang, in the second the deleting information will appear and will not close.

After several researchs in the Internet for similar situations, I found the soclutiin for this problem: The Windows Search Service was not starting and I decided to stop it. After doing this, my computer came back to normal.

I think there is a problem with the Windows Search 4.0.

You should look at it.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:05 AM
  • Finnally figured out that WS4 was causing the "find all --> related Messages..." in outlook 2007 to return no results. Uninstalled WS4 and it now works and is very fast!. Also noticed improvement in performance since un-installing. No plans to re-install....
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:41 PM
  • i think after uninstall you must restart before new install it
    Trung Tam sim so dep, so dep HOTSIM
    • Proposed as answer by sim so dep Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:12 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by sim so dep Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:12 PM
    Friday, November 5, 2010 6:19 AM