User Voice - PHP RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have posted a suggestion at Expression Web's User Voice site that PHP support in EW be expanded, dramatically.

I encourage you to visit User Voice and make your voice heard on this or any other suggestion posted there. Disagreement is certainly welcome.

Will
    Baltimore, MD USA - www.fastie.com
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 1:33 PM

All replies

• Re your comment that there is no MS IDE for PHP - http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/f5cfbe65-d843-4c96-8f24-2c169676504c integrates PHP into Visual Studio which is arguably the better place for PHP developer support.

I'm not sure that I want a full development IDE in Expression Web even though better support for PHP would be useful.

Expression Web Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Expression Web forums
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Correction: no native IDE.

VS is a much more expensive tool than EW and VS.php just adds to that cost.

Here's my position: I'm a PHP developer now. EW, my Web tool of choice, has worked out well for me so far. But I'm moving along and EW is not keeping up where PHP is concerned. So I'm pushing for my tool of choice to continue to enable my productivity for my platform of choice. Some progress has been made but more is needed.

My research project of the month for February is NetBeans. It would not be on my radar screen if EW was keeping up.

Will
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:16 PM
  • Will,

The thing I really like about NetBeans is that it is basically as smart as the PHP engine in detecting broken code. I seldom get PHP parser errors now because NetBeans tell me where the errors are before I run the code. It's spooky good at that and the same thing is true about JavaScript including JQuery code. There is a way to take the VS.js definition file and have NetBeans read it and there after NetBeans knows the syntax of JQuery. Also, if you use the correct commenting syntax at the beginning of your functions/objects in your code NetBeans will parse that and add the correct calling hints to the pop-up intellisense. Way cool!

Friday, February 18, 2011 5:06 AM
  • I seldom get PHP parser errors now because NetBeans tell me where the errors are before I run the code.

Yeah, 99% of all my PHP errors are typos and syntax accidents. I'm practicing bad habits by actually uploading to live sites before testing. I'd really like to get away from that.

I installed NetBeans 6.9.1 last week but with the exception of a couple of light experiments I have not attempted to use it. Sooner or later...

Will
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 12:48 AM
  • To be sure, I still get errors in my code, just not parser errors so much. Logic errors and mySQL query errors go undetected by NetBeans. When we can all afford computers like the IBM Jeorady Watson then maybe we can eliminate those errors while editing as well?

Saturday, February 19, 2011 2:13 AM
  • "I'm practicing bad habits by actually uploading to live sites before testing. I'd really like to get away from that." Should be easy. Preview!
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 2:16 AM
  • Should be easy. Preview!

I do, but my sites have evolved to be very data centric. I'd have to maintain a local facsimile of all my clients' databases in order to fully test locally, although if I was careful I could just install MySQL and let my local testing access the live data.
    Will
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 2:23 AM
  • ... IBM Watson ...
    Just this morning I was corresponding with someone in Cyprus and we had a very similar converstation about coding errors that led to Watson. Quite a coincidence.
    Will
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 2:26 AM