API's to Support .NET Standard 1.6 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to get a rough idea of when the service fabric API's might support .NET Standard v1.6 or if support is even planned?

We have a bunch of libraries that have been developed targeting .NET Standard v1.6 and as it stands we can't reference these from Service Fabric services.

A rough idea should be enough. If support is imminent I can probably work round this in development by keeping the services that require the libraries outside service fabric for development. If not I probably need to port the libraries or maybe consider something other than service fabric.

Thanks in advance!

Ross Mason

• Edited by Ross Mason Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:06 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Ross, we plan to support .NET Standard 2.0 but it likely won't be available in the first half of this year. Sorry I don't have a specific date for you yet.

On that note, depending on your timeline, if you target .NET Standard 2.0 when it becomes available you shouldn't need to do any porting after that. Even though the Service Fabric SDK may still require .NET Framework, you should be able to reference your .NET Standard 2.0 libraries from a .NET Framework Service Fabric service. See here for more info: https://github.com/dotnet/standard/blob/master/docs/netstandard-20/README.md

• Edited by Vaclav Turecek Wednesday, January 25, 2017 10:40 PM
    • Proposed as answer by RossMas Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ross Mason Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:14 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 10:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Ross, we plan to support .NET Standard 2.0 but it likely won't be available in the first half of this year. Sorry I don't have a specific date for you yet.

On that note, depending on your timeline, if you target .NET Standard 2.0 when it becomes available you shouldn't need to do any porting after that. Even though the Service Fabric SDK may still require .NET Framework, you should be able to reference your .NET Standard 2.0 libraries from a .NET Framework Service Fabric service. See here for more info: https://github.com/dotnet/standard/blob/master/docs/netstandard-20/README.md

• Edited by Vaclav Turecek Wednesday, January 25, 2017 10:40 PM
    • Proposed as answer by RossMas Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:11 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 10:39 PM
  • Thanks Vaclav.

I appreciate you giving me a rough idea on the timelines.

I have spent today trying to understand the changes with .NET core and the plans moving to .NET Standard 2.0. Seems a bit of a mess but it now looks like were starting to coalesce around a plan :O)

It seems for now that the most sensible option is to target .NET 4.6.1 until .NET standard 2.0 is along if you do not need to deploy cross platform.

Ross Mason

• Unmarked as answer by Ross Mason Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:14 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:13 PM