none
Configuring Jet connection parameters using .NET OLEDB connection RRS feed

• Question

• I use .NET 2.0 OLEDB provider to connect to a Access Database. I could not find a resource in MSDN library that enumerates & explains various connection parameters that can be set.

I copied the following code from one of the connection string, generated by VS 2005, when I connected to a Access DB with server explorer, using OLEDB data provider:
                      "Jet OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;" & _
                      "Jet OLEDBBig Smileatabase Locking Mode=1;" & _
                      "Jet OLEDBTongue TiedFP=False;persist security info=False;" & _
                      "Mode=Share Deny None;Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False;" & _
                      "Jet OLEDB:Create System Database=False;" & _
                      "Jet OLEDBBig Smileon't Copy Locale on Compact=False;" & _
                      "Jet OLEDB:Compact Without Replica Repair=False;" & _
                      "Jet OLEDB:Global Bulk Transactions=1;"

Can anyone explain this string? I am not asking about the parameters, like what is Locking Mode. What I am asking is whether Locking Mode=1 locks the DB with Pessimistic or Optimistic Locking protocal?
    Moreover, I need to tweak my application performance. So, can somebody point me to a resource that enumerates & explain all parameters that can be set in this string???
    Monday, September 17, 2007 10:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• See the following:

ADO Provider Properties and Settings

AFAIK there is no pessimistic locking mode supported by ADO.NET.
    Monday, September 17, 2007 11:58 AM
  • But locking is supported by the underlying DB engine. ADO.NET only connects to it, passes queries and retrieves results in a transparent manner for the programmer.

How can ADO.NET deny pessimistic locking if an underlying DBMS supports it???
    Monday, September 17, 2007 2:08 PM
  • This is correct but for an Access database locking is enabled through the data access object. That would be either DAO or ADO. ADO.NET does not support this functionality for an Access database.

Monday, September 17, 2007 2:36 PM
  • Fine.
    Although off-topic, still can you point me to a resource advising setting the parameters described by the link you provided above, to maximize transaction throughput???
    Monday, September 17, 2007 2:48 PM
  • I'm not aware of such a resource. It probably would depend upon what you are attempting to accomplish and what your code looks like.

Monday, September 17, 2007 6:30 PM
  • Thanx!!!
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 7:55 AM