Problems with debugging webservice using remote debugger RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using the remote debugger to attempt to debug a silverlight application.  When it would open up the webservice and I would step through the routine, I would get this error on the open statement

EXECUTE permission denied on object 'sp_sdidebug', database 'master', owner 'dbo'.

finally I tried the same thing, but accessing the webservice from a (newly created) asp.net website.  Accessing the webservice in that method allowed me to see that my webservice was choking on a null value in the database.

Any ideas how I can get the remote debugger to stop trying to step into SQL server and returning and returning an error?

There is no sp_sdidebug in the database, and google search results indicate that this is a stored proc used for stepping through a stored proc.

asp.net is enabled in the properties of the webservice, but sql is not checked.

Friday, February 27, 2009 2:09 PM

Answers

• Yeah you need to set up debugging to ONLY debug managed code:

First check in your visual studio - click on Debug - Attach To Process

Attach to process window will be opened.

In Attach to : see what is present if it is "Automatic Native code" then click on Select  and in Select Code Type window

choose "Debug these code types" and check the "Manged", say ok

and then you can debug your application.

The reason was as Automatic Native Code is selected, it is trying to debug everything for which we need the priveleges, so we are removing the option to debug everything and allowing ourselves to debug only managed code.

Saturday, February 28, 2009 2:41 AM