Azure publish error in LightSwitch.targets RRS feed

• Question

• The publish to my Azure account always failes, throwing this exception:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\v1.0\Microsoft.LightSwitch.targets(1114,9): error : An exception occurred when deploying the database for the application.
    Sql Server version not supported.

I'm using forms authentication and the default ASP.NET Membership Provider.

The database schema for the lightswitch database is not created.

Any help is much appriciated, thanks

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 11:13 AM

Answers

• The LightSwitch team has released a General Distribution Release (GDR) to resolve this issue encountered when publishing to SQL Azure.

The problem is due to a recent SQL Azure server upgrade which caused the version incompatibility. The GDR enables LightSwitch to target the upgraded version. The fix also makes it resilient to future server upgrades.

The GDR and instructions for installing it can be found on the Download Center.

Thank you to all who reported the issue to us. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:21 PM

All replies

• The publish to my Azure account always failes, throwing this exception:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\v1.0\Microsoft.LightSwitch.targets(1114,9): error : An exception occurred when deploying the database for the application.

I'm using forms authentication and the default ASP.NET Membership Provider.

The database schema for the lightswitch database is not created.

Any help is much appriciated, thanks

Same problem here :( Any help? :)
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 4:48 PM
  • Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are currently investigating this issue.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 4:53 PM
  • Same problem.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:38 PM
  • Same issue, this is stopping deployment of critical deliverables.  Any workarounds?

I assume my SQL Azure database has been updated to Denali...you can specify your OS version in Azure, but not db version, so don't think rollback is possible. 

DGL
    Monday, August 29, 2011 3:13 AM
  • Yesterday, I've tried to deploy the same application again. We received the same error. urgent fix required.

Error 1 An exception occurred when deploying the database for the application.
    11.00.1465 C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\v1.0\Microsoft.LightSwitch.targets 1114 10 CMS

Regards

Rama

Rama dwarapudi
    Monday, August 29, 2011 5:15 AM
  • Same problem here.
    For info, this lets the service, the roles and the instances in Stopped state. They can be eventually started, the application starts but it fails after, when trying to connect to the database (as it doeasn't exists on the SQL Azure server).
    I have tried to:
    1. Migrate the database through the "SQL Azure Migration Wizard" (http://sqlazuremw.codeplex.com/) but I have validation errors from the source DB:
    StoredProcedure [dbo].[aspnet_Membership_GetNumberOfUsersOnline] -- Deprecated feature 'Table hint without WITH' is not supported in this version of SQL Azure.
    StoredProcedure [dbo].[aspnet_Membership_GetNumberOfUsersOnline] -- Deprecated feature 'Table hint without WITH' is not supported in this version of SQL Azure.
    StoredProcedure [dbo].[aspnet_Setup_RemoveAllRoleMembers] -- sp_helpuser is not supported in current version of SQL Azure.
    2. Manually migrate the DB by executing the script and ignore the errors (they concern the ASP.NET membership structure only, and I don't have yet authentication in my app). The DB is eventually created on SQL Azure; but when reexecuting the LightSwitch deployment wizard, I have the same error results.
    Please provide a patch, or a workaround.
    Thanks,

Marius
    Monday, August 29, 2011 7:45 AM
  • Can we get some sort of answer on this, ETA, anything!  This is a critical issue.

DGL
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:10 AM
  • I tried fresh installation and it works.

Light Switch application always fails when we tried to publish the same site after changes in Azure.

Regards

Rama

Rama dwarapudi
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:40 AM
  • Rama,

What did you reinstall? I reinstalled Lightswitch after a new download but I still get the same error.

Regards,

Daan

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:45 AM
  • Hi Rama,

I'm also intrested to know, I still get the same error.

What datacentre are you publishing to?

Regards,

Douw

DGL
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:54 AM
  • I can also tell you that my LightSwitch installation is very fresh - 3 days ago. So I don't really see how a reinstallation would help me in that case.
    One detail though - I have also Azure SDK & Tools on the same machine, with an August 'fresh' install there. Should this affect the things?...

Marius
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:54 AM
  • It seems there must a check somewhere on the version level according to the following blog post:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazure/archive/2011/08/25/checking-your-sql-azure-server-connection.aspx

Did anyone also install any hotfixes or rollups? The next blog post describes a number of possible hotfixes, but my current sql level is already higher then the 10.50.17777.0.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazure/archive/2011/07/13/announcing-sql-azure-july-2011-service-release.aspx

regards,

Daan

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:36 PM
  • Hi Daan,

Agreed, SQL Azure datacentres are busy upgrading to Denali.  The blog says that only some users might be effected, that's probably why Rama could publish his app again.

Still massive issue if LS does not support Denali and Azure is busy upgrading.

Regards,

Douw

DGL
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:42 PM
  • Dear Douw,

Yes I also faced this problem many times and end up with no solution.

The only solution I found at this moment is please create the new hosting, storage account and database  in your  subscription with different names and try publishing again.

Currently I am using Windows Azure selected region is anywhere in US server.  

Regards

Rama

rama@shoppersstop.com.au

Rama dwarapudi
    • Proposed as answer by ITPSB Friday, September 9, 2011 1:46 AM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 4:59 PM
  • The LightSwitch team has released a General Distribution Release (GDR) to resolve this issue encountered when publishing to SQL Azure.

The problem is due to a recent SQL Azure server upgrade which caused the version incompatibility. The GDR enables LightSwitch to target the upgraded version. The fix also makes it resilient to future server upgrades.

The GDR and instructions for installing it can be found on the Download Center.

Thank you to all who reported the issue to us. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Hi guys,

Could you let us know if the GDR fixed the issue?

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:29 PM
  • Hi Andy,

Sorry, we complain when things go bad, but don't thank you when you fix the issue.

Yes, the GDR removed the SQL version error.  I did however have to manually start the instances on the Azure portal.  I have only published one instance since the GDR, so not sure if this was a once off.

Thank you,

Douw

DGL
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 11:35 PM
  • Yes Andy,

I have tried also and successfully deployed my Lightswitch app.

Thanks a lot!

Marius
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 8:04 AM
  • thanks andy,

this is my first lightswitch application , and the fix help me too.

thansk!

Monday, September 19, 2011 11:33 PM