none
"The meeting has been updated by another person" message happens when no one else has edited the meeting. RRS feed

• Question

• Application:  Outlook 2016 (32-Bit)   MSO (16.0.4.4738.1000)
    In house VSTO Add-In is running when user is making update

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
    In the last 4 weeks, or so, our users began receiving the following message while editing meetings in shared calendars (they are delegates)

Firstly, an appointment is created using a Desktop App that hasn't changed in years.   The user then opens the newly created meeting in Outlook and makes updates and then performs a "Save" operation and then receives the message that the meeting has been updated by someone else.   

It's highly unlikely that anyone else would have edited this meeting since I witnessed the user create the appointment then update date it several seconds later.

OBSERVATIONS:
    This particular message has just started happening in the way I've described in the last several weeks.
    Each meeting that was being edited was in a conflicted state with another meeting/Appointment.

Any ideas?

Germán Hayles

• Edited by GermanEZI Wednesday, March 13, 2019 7:42 PM Added detail.
    Wednesday, March 13, 2019 6:31 PM

All replies

• Hello German,

Are there any add-ins running at the moment of editing meetings or VBA code enabled?

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 6:39 PM
  • Yes Eugene, there is.  I just updated my post.  It's a VSTO Add-In.   

Maybe I should check the code around ItemChange event.

Germán Hayles

• Edited by GermanEZI Wednesday, March 13, 2019 7:44 PM Added more detail.
    Wednesday, March 13, 2019 7:43 PM
  • When using cached mode

1. appointment is created in the cached store (OST),

2. the changes are uploaded to the server.

3. The latest versions of Exchange like to stamp the appointment with its own properties.

4. These changes are then downloaded into the local OST files.

If you make modifications after (4), Outlook most likely still has the cached object from (1), and when you try to save the appointment after (4), you get a conflict message.

The only workarounds are

(a) turn cached mode off

(b) try to completely de-reference and reopen the appointment before making changes after (4). Could be problematic if Outlook is still displaying the appointment.

(c) avoid making the modifications. Make the change before the appointment is saved for the very first time in (1)

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 7:52 PM
  • Very interesting Dmitry.    For our group, I'm thinking option (c) is our best bet. I'll get this information over to our Exchange Admins.

I'm curious, this portion of the code has been stable for some time.   This is a very recent occurrence.

Is it possible that maybe some security patches (or some other Microsoft update) may have caused a change in behavior?

Germán Hayles

• Edited by GermanEZI Wednesday, March 13, 2019 8:22 PM Updating details.
    Wednesday, March 13, 2019 8:20 PM
  • Thaat's just how Exchange works - its adds quite a few of its own properties. There is nothing you can do.

Did you upgrade your server recently?

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 8:24 PM
  • @Dmitry,

It likely was.  I'll get that info.   Thanks!!!

Germán Hayles

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 8:38 PM