none
Problem with "AutoCorrect" text replacement RRS feed

• Question

• Go to Word Options->Proofing and then go to the "AutoCorrect Options..."  In the 'Replace' box, enter the word "Rep" and set it to be replaced with "Representative".   This will work fine.  However.....if you now try to add a lowercase "rep" to be replaced with "representative", Word will not allow this lowercase word replacement to take place.

So, I guess my question is, is there a way to force Word to allow both uppercase and lowercase word replacements?  (such as "Rep" and "rep")??  Can it be done with VBA macros?

Thanks!

jmmc
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:28 AM

Answers

• I found that the scenarios above actually DO work.  However, there is one scenario I found that seems to fail on me:

* zapp == app

* ZAPP == APP

* zApp == app  (??)  [why doesn't this become "App"??]

Hi Robert,

Probably because Word looks at whether proper-case or upper-case capitalization rules apply to the string as entered, based on the first few letters of the string. If you type 'rEpresentative' as the first Word of a sentence, Word doesn't capitalize that either.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Wednesday, May 4, 2011 10:10 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Robert,

If you make the 'Replace' word "rep" and set it to be replaced with "representative", this will take care of both upper-case and lower-case replacements. "REP" will also be replaced with "REPRESENTATIVE"

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:49 AM
  • I actually wanted "Rep" to be "Representive";  I didn't want the entire word to be in uppercase, just the first letter.

So, I want "Rep to be replaced with "Representative", and "rep" to be replaced with "representative"....

Do you know if that can be done??

jmmc
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:22 AM
  • I actually wanted "Rep" to be "Representive";  I didn't want the entire word to be in uppercase, just the first letter.

So, I want "Rep to be replaced with "Representative", and "rep" to be replaced with "representative"....

Do you know if that can be done??

jmmc

Hi Robert,

Let's see if I can make it clearer - Make the 'Replace' word "rep" and set it to be replaced with "representative". Then, if you type:
    • "rep" you'll get "representative"
    • "Rep" you'll get "Representative"
    "REP" you'll get "REPRESENTATIVE"

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:43 AM
  • Hi Paul,

I found that the scenarios above actually DO work.  However, there is one scenario I found that seems to fail on me:

* zapp == app
    * ZAPP == APP
    * zApp == app  (??)  [why doesn't this become "App"??]

jmmc
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:26 PM
  • I found that the scenarios above actually DO work.  However, there is one scenario I found that seems to fail on me:

* zapp == app

* ZAPP == APP

* zApp == app  (??)  [why doesn't this become "App"??]

Hi Robert,

Probably because Word looks at whether proper-case or upper-case capitalization rules apply to the string as entered, based on the first few letters of the string. If you type 'rEpresentative' as the first Word of a sentence, Word doesn't capitalize that either.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Wednesday, May 4, 2011 10:10 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:52 PM