Issue in SQL Server 2008 R2 in-place upgrade from SQL Sever 2005 SP4 on Cluster Active/Passive box RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

we have windows 2 node cluster active/passive with SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition with SP4, now we are on in-place upgrade of SQL Server 2008 R2. as of now upgrade of passive node completed including .Net framework 3.5 , windows installer.

I have installed .Net framework 3.5 with windows installer and started upgrade of active node, setup.exe wizard did all installation planning without any issue, but it was failed at the time of upgrade, "SQL Group is not comming up on passive node , please check sql/analysis/ssis servcies"

I found that all resources have been failed over to passive node and SQL is offline there, latter I reliased that I had kept setup.exe on SAN drive and that drive also failed over to passive node.

now niether SQL is comming up on passive node nor upgrade is getting forward after "Setup  Rule" check-up report and error is like SQL health check failed and it's not moving forward.

please help.

With regards, Ram Pravesh Singh India- Delhi

Saturday, June 23, 2012 6:11 PM

Answers

• Maggie,

at Setup installation wizard--"Upgrade Rules" it's failed for "SQL Server Service Health Check" with error "The SQL Service cann't be restarted; or for cluster instance, the SQL Server Service is not online". and it's not moving forward, forcing us to exit from Setup installation wizard. please advise, thanks.

With regards, Ram Pravesh Singh India- Delhi

Friday, June 29, 2012 3:21 PM

All replies