small basic hangs up RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded to windows 10 and installed small basic afterwards.
    Tried to run "Hello World"  but small basic just hangs up when I click the run button(F5).

Any ideas ?

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 9:14 AM

Answers

• Any progress ??

* In "%LOCALAPPDATA%\SmallBasic" there should be 2 files:
    SB.exe.application.catalog and SB.exe.settings.catalog (both containing: catalog.xaml, manifest.xaml, [Content_Types].xml)
    which are not installed by the .msi but created when SB.exe starts. Perhaps these are corrupted !?
    Try deleting both files or rename them (so that SB.exe does'nt find and create them new)

* For the "SBDir\Lib" directory (extensions). Check that its empty or renamed so that SB.exe not finds it (and/or loads extensions) . SB.exe has to be closed during that.

* Don't run the (advertised/Windows Installer Shortcut) link from the Startmenu, but start SB.exe directly or create your own shell link to SBDir\SB.exe (WorkingDir: SBDir). Else the installer would try a repair install, if files - like see *LOC* below - are missing)
    "SBDir\SB.exe"                 (system language)
    "SBDir\SB.exe" /l:en-us    (engl.)
    "SBDir\SB.exe" /l:de-de   (eg. german for LOCalized version)

You said "Reinstalling SB did not help." So without loosing anything you could try to:

* Completely uninstall your current SB12 installation.
    * Extract the required files from the SmallBasic_1-2.msi installer (or backup from current installation) and try to run as 'portable'.
    * The required files for an english version are (SB 1.2: dated 13. Sept 2015):
    SBDir\ComponentModel.dll
    SBDir\LanguageService.dll
    SBDir\SB.exe
    SBDir\SB.exe.config
    SBDir\SmallBasicCompiler.exe
    SBDir\SmallBasicLibrary.dll
    SBDir\SmallBasicLibrary.xml
    SBDir\StringResources.dll
    SBDir\ToolFramework.dll
      ...  + SmallBasicLibrary.LOC.xml, Strings.LOC.resx  for a LOCalized version.

where for
    64bit: SBDir = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Small Basic"
    32bit: SBDir = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Small Basic"

• Marked as answer by Tristano.x Friday, December 18, 2015 2:52 PM
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 9:33 PM
    Answerer
  • OK, that's it.

I deinstalled SB, then installed it again and called SB.exe via my own link, as suggested by Pappa Lapub. This was a SUCCESS !

I then called SB.exe via Startmenu and (!) this worked, also. I noticed that the TextWindow appeared twice, meaning that after "press any key to continue ..." it popped up again. The first window was under control of my avast antivirus program. I changed the settings of avast (removed "Deep screen") and ran some of the sample programs. Everything ok.

So thanks a lot for your support.

Friday, December 18, 2015 2:52 PM

All replies

• The current SB version 1.2 (which SB are you using?) should work fine on Windows 10 - try these suggestions first

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4e9b1313-18d6-4244-ada4-e195f8150f5f/small-basic-is-not-responding-immediately?forum=smallbasic

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 12:57 PM
  • Yes, I am using SB 1.2

Reinstalling SB did not help.

Not sure about the "SB/lib folder", where should it be ?
    I can locate the SmallBasicLibary.dll which is in my \AppData\Local\Temp directory resp. in the directory where I saved the hello world program.

When I save the hello world program an .exe and .pdb file are created. But I cannot delete the  exe file, probably it is hooked to some running process. You know which one ?
    After killing SB I still can't delete the exe file.

Any othe Temp directory I should check ?

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 5:45 PM
  • SB/lib is only if you have extensions installed.

The exe process should just be the name of the sb file with exe filename.exe.  Not being able to delete the exe is odd,try saving to somewhere in Documents and make sure the exe is not running - reboot if you want to be absolutely sure.

The temp data folder is found by typing %temp% in File Explorer, you can safely delete everything in it as long as you have no unsaved programs running e.g. immediately after logging in after a reboot - some files may not delete - this is fine.

• Edited by litdev Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:38 PM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:18 PM
  • filename.exe with the Hello-World program is in my Documents folder. After SB hangs up I can only delete filename.exe with rebooting in safe mode.

Is the process name of the process executing filename.exe also filename.exe ? I did not find it in the task manager. Anyway which process does the execution ?

Thank you for your support, hope we'll find a solution.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 11:11 AM
  • the filename is the name of the file you use - so if your small basic file is saved as MyFile.sb, then the exe will be MyFile.exe or if you save as tes1.sb, the exe will be test1.exe so it depends on the name you give it.

If the exe is running then you can't delete it so you must stop its process first.  Then make sure %temp% is cleaned and run a very simple SB file e.g.

TextWindow.WriteLine("Hello World")

If this crashes then please send a screenshot of the crash message.

• Edited by litdev Wednesday, December 16, 2015 11:31 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 11:30 AM
  • Filename issue is clear, my sb file is "hello.sb".

And the program I'm trying to run is the "Hello World" program with just the line: TextWindow....

As i said nothing crashes, it just hangs up.

Again how is the processs called in the taskmanager in my case ? "hello.exe" ?
    It is not in the taskmanager. So which process should I stop ?

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 11:40 AM
  • The name of the process should be hello.exe - if it is not in task manager process details then it is not running and it makes no sense that you cannot start this hello.exe manually from outside SB IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironment IDE (i.e. double clicking it from Explorer).

1] Please confirm that you have cleaned %temp% - that is deleted everything in it after a reboot - if not sure about this step check back - I don't want you to delete the wrong stuff by mistake!

2] Then try running hello.exe from Explorer (don't start SB IDE) - this tests that is nothing to do with SB IDE freezing in some way.

3] As hello.exe is running check you can find it in Task Manager.

Please state outcomes for each step 1-3.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 1:05 PM
  • 1) Cleaned the %temp% directory

2) when I start hello.exe from explorer the spinning circle (busy) appears and stays that way.

3) hello.exe is not in the task manager

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 5:33 PM
  • mmm I don't have much idea, perhaps you don't have permissions to write to you %tepm% folder or something else strange. 

1] Maybe try running hello.exe as administrator as a test. Not generally recommendedbut OK asa test here.

2] Check that there is a copy of SmallBasicLibrary.dll also copied to the same folder as hello.exe.

3] If you have any file copyng site (dropbox, OneDrive etc) then maybe zip up the hello.exe and upload it for me to see that it is OK?

4] You could try downloading a small text exe I have compiled and uploaded (the opposite test to [3]), extract it all to a new folder somewhere in Documents and try running it (not from SB IDE, just run the exe) - the link is here.  This will test that your .Net 4.5 is good (should be fine in windows 10, but who knows).

5] I assume you are looking Task Manager (Details Tab and listing by Name to look for hello.exe).

Please flag off results of these suggestions as before.

Does any-one else have any ideas?

• Edited by litdev Wednesday, December 16, 2015 7:01 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 6:52 PM
  • No problem writing to my %temp% folder

1) Running the exe as administrator does not help

2) SmallBasicLibrary.dll is in the same folder

3) Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1lqvxiz7410qfe/Hello.zip?dl=0

4) I downloaded your version: I had to run it as administrator but got the same problem: spinning circle (busy)

5) yes, exactly

So, what is done when a SB.exe is called ?

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:57 PM
  • 1] When an SB exe is run it it is just like any other .Net exe - so perhaps a good test would be trying another - e.g. Paint.Net - if you use this does it run?

I downloaded your exe and  it worked fine for me - which it seem like some kind of permissions or maybe antivirus issue?

So I can assume your SB compiiler is working OK, but some problem with running the exe file.

This could be .Net or some kind of file permission issue or antivirus.

2] Try turning off antivirus while testing - whch are you using? - Kaspersky is especially bad for false positives.

3] So lets check .Net 4.5 is present (I think it should be or you couldn't run SB IDE - so probably not the problem  but worth rulling out - to be sure see Paint.Net test above): If you are not sure don't do this! Edit registry may destroy you PC!  If not sure we will find another way to check.

To find the installed .NET Framework versions manually (versions 4.5 and later)

• On the Start menu, choose Run.
    • In the Open box, enter regedit.exe. (You must have administrative credentials to run regedit.exe.)
    • In the Registry Editor, open the following subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full Check for a DWORD value named Release. The existence of the Release DWORD indicates that the .NET Framework 4.5 or newer has been installed on that computer.

Results for 1 and 2?

• Edited by litdev Wednesday, December 16, 2015 10:31 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 10:21 PM
  • 1st: i dont have W10 (maybe next year) but only a few thoughts, as something seems to block executon there:

1.) So, i guess you are logged on a normal user account, not on a limited account and you have privilegues to execute a file. (Security Tab, whoami)?

2.) There's no 3rd party security software (eg. ZoneAlarm) installed and set to block execution of unkown files. (Trust Level, Smart Defense)

3.) On Win7, when SB.exe or a SmallBasic exe-file is run and 'Windows Presentation Foundation-FontCache' (PresentationFontCache.exe) is not running, the service tries to start if not disabled (eg. Manual).

But on W10:
    Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0 **
    Two ** (asterisks) indicates you can add or remove this service by: ....Windows 10 Service Configurations (BlackViper)

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 10:40 PM
    Answerer
  • @litdev

1) paint.net is running ...

2) it is not the antivirus sw, i'm using avast anivirus

3) i also checked the registry: .NET 4.5 is installed

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 11:55 PM
  • @Pappa Lapub

Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0 is running on my system, i checked with services.msc

Thursday, December 17, 2015 12:00 AM
  • Tristano,

I'm sorry, I have no more ideas - this is a strange one.

Just one thought, perhaps it is TextWindow in some way.

Maybe try this Small Baisic program

GraphicsWindow.Show()

or

Sound.PlayBellRingAndWait()
    Other than this, I would feel that antivirus would be most likely,perhaps also try logging in as another user on your PC if you have one.
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 1:02 PM
  • Any progress ??

* In "%LOCALAPPDATA%\SmallBasic" there should be 2 files:
    SB.exe.application.catalog and SB.exe.settings.catalog (both containing: catalog.xaml, manifest.xaml, [Content_Types].xml)
    which are not installed by the .msi but created when SB.exe starts. Perhaps these are corrupted !?
    Try deleting both files or rename them (so that SB.exe does'nt find and create them new)

* For the "SBDir\Lib" directory (extensions). Check that its empty or renamed so that SB.exe not finds it (and/or loads extensions) . SB.exe has to be closed during that.

* Don't run the (advertised/Windows Installer Shortcut) link from the Startmenu, but start SB.exe directly or create your own shell link to SBDir\SB.exe (WorkingDir: SBDir). Else the installer would try a repair install, if files - like see *LOC* below - are missing)
    "SBDir\SB.exe"                 (system language)
    "SBDir\SB.exe" /l:en-us    (engl.)
    "SBDir\SB.exe" /l:de-de   (eg. german for LOCalized version)

You said "Reinstalling SB did not help." So without loosing anything you could try to:

* Completely uninstall your current SB12 installation.
    * Extract the required files from the SmallBasic_1-2.msi installer (or backup from current installation) and try to run as 'portable'.
    * The required files for an english version are (SB 1.2: dated 13. Sept 2015):
    SBDir\ComponentModel.dll
    SBDir\LanguageService.dll
    SBDir\SB.exe
    SBDir\SB.exe.config
    SBDir\SmallBasicCompiler.exe
    SBDir\SmallBasicLibrary.dll
    SBDir\SmallBasicLibrary.xml
    SBDir\StringResources.dll
    SBDir\ToolFramework.dll
      ...  + SmallBasicLibrary.LOC.xml, Strings.LOC.resx  for a LOCalized version.

where for
    64bit: SBDir = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Small Basic"
    32bit: SBDir = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Small Basic"

Thursday, December 17, 2015 9:33 PM
    Answerer
  • OK, that's it.

I deinstalled SB, then installed it again and called SB.exe via my own link, as suggested by Pappa Lapub. This was a SUCCESS !

I then called SB.exe via Startmenu and (!) this worked, also. I noticed that the TextWindow appeared twice, meaning that after "press any key to continue ..." it popped up again. The first window was under control of my avast antivirus program. I changed the settings of avast (removed "Deep screen") and ran some of the sample programs. Everything ok.

So thanks a lot for your support.

Friday, December 18, 2015 2:52 PM