How to achieve best download speed from Azure blob storage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a question regarding the optimization of Azure blob download speeds. I am looking at having a private container in Azure blob storage with 10000 files of size ~5 MB. Whenever an user wants to download this file, I will be generating a SAS Url for the user to download the file. As of now, I am looking at ~1000 concurrent users downloading various files at any point of time.

I would like to know whether any of the below steps will help me to maintain optimal download speeds for this kind of usage.

• Will storing the files across different containers help in improving download speeds.
      • Read in the Windows Azure storage team's blog that each storage account has a fixed bandwidth. To offset this , do I need to storing the files across different storage accounts.
      • Is it sufficient to have a single container in a storage account to get the best download speeds for ~1000 concurrent users.

It will also be great if you can let me know the best practices to achieve this.

Thanks,

Krishnan

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 11:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Storing blobs in different containers will not improve download speed. A blob itself is already a partition (similar to a table), which would support about 500 transactions per second. Using multiple accounts can improve the speed. But if you only have 1000 concurrent users, a single account maybe enough (assume they're not downloading the same blob at the same time).

Best Regards,

Ming Xu.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Microsoft One Code Framework

• Marked as answer by KrishnanD23 Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:58 AM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Storing blobs in different containers will not improve download speed. A blob itself is already a partition (similar to a table), which would support about 500 transactions per second. Using multiple accounts can improve the speed. But if you only have 1000 concurrent users, a single account maybe enough (assume they're not downloading the same blob at the same time).

Best Regards,

Ming Xu.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Microsoft One Code Framework

• Marked as answer by KrishnanD23 Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:58 AM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:53 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply. This makes sense.

Regards,

Krishnan

Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:05 AM