Is ReportViewer still being supported RRS feed

• Question

• I've noticed that a lot of threads in this forum are from several years ago. I do know that forums are usually answered by users not MS support. But, I've also noticed that fewer questions seem to be getting answered these days. Have developers been abandoning ReportViewer?

Based on what I've experienced over the past week, it is very difficult to work with and extraordinarily conter-intuitive. Setting a dataset at design time seems odd to me. I find it hard to believe that most users would want a report to access one only table. Yet, it seems to require herculean effort to simply run a different query and assign a new dataset to the report.

I am beginning to think this has been a huge and costly mistake getting involved with ReportViewer. I could probably have built my own custom control for viewing reports in the time I've wasted on ReportViewer (excluding printing and exporting capabilities of course).

Briefly, I want to create several report templates each of which could accept data from different queries. I didn't think I was asking for so much. In the old days we built our own and it was easier than this. Do I need to build my own or is ReportViewer actually capable of this?

Is there any one reliable source that clearly and precisely explains how to do this? I have search dozens of forums and websites and have not found such a source. None of the answers I viewed have accomplished what I thought was a simple, common activity.

Anyone here up to the challenge?

• Edited by rwbta2 Monday, October 8, 2012 7:01 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 6:52 PM

All replies

• so, i guess the answer is no.

rwb

Sunday, November 4, 2012 8:21 PM
  • Interesting too the 2012 report viewer runtime has been in beta forever.  Still no RTM version.  Looks like another MS unofficially unsupported product (just like Visio).  Saw some people having issues with Chrome too.  No response to their posts.  Bugs with the 2010 report viewer have never been addressed/fixed.

• Edited by chuck02323 Monday, November 5, 2012 3:29 PM
    Monday, November 5, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Looks like 2012 Report Viewer is finally up at:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35747

Naturally no information on changes or whether it actually works.  Give the last version was bug riddled and didn't work with MVC, Entity Framework and was feature crippled in everything but IE, I expect it's another bug ridden kludge.

• Proposed as answer by chuck02323 Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:58 AM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:58 AM