none
[RS4:1803]Windows 10 1803 won't run ODBC SQL connected application from network

Question

• We have an application that runs from a network location. It has always worked fine in Windows 10 through latest cumulative 1709 builds. Since updating online to 1803 (17134.1) it will not run from the network. Here are the details.

Application launches from a network location and uses a system DSN (I also tried changing it to a User DSN) ODBC connection to connect to a SQL server. SQL 2008 R2, fully patched. When setting up the DSN it does connect successfully at the Finish Test Connection stage. Since the update to 1803 it now fails at the login to server stage of the ODBC call. It returns a login failed ODBC message. The application launches, just fails at the ODBC login stage and then exits as it should. It uses integrated windows login. I also tried it with the SA account with the same problem. If I copy the application to the local system it starts fine and the ODBC logs in fine. That means ODBC is configured properly and does work. I updated a second machine to be sure it wasn't an individual system issue and it had the same issue after the upgrade, but could run and ODBC login fine if launched locally.

Interestingly enough, I have another ODBC connection for an Access MDE launched from a network location and that launches and logs in fine. It is going to the same SQL server.

There are no errors in the logs of the SQL server and no local errors or information in the logs on the local computers having the issue.

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the application (though it does run fine if I launch it from the local computer instead of the network location)

Was something changed in this new version 1803 on how it handles network related logins or app launches? Anyone have thoughts on a new setting I might need to tweak?

Restoring previous version to 1709 also fixed the problem originally detailed above, so it is definitely specific to just Windows 10 Version 1803. TIA

Dan Bartley

Friday, May 4, 2018 5:58 PM

All replies

• Hello Dan,

I suspect something changed after you update your OS however it's hard to guess the reason. Can you check the firewall and the windows defender first? That would be the first thing that I would try.

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 7, 2018 8:00 AM
  • I have the same problem, using ODBC under control panel connects correcly, if i run my app local runs fine, but when i run from a network location appears the login problem, i checked firewall and Windows defender with no result.

Any help will be grateful.

Monday, May 7, 2018 8:41 AM
  • I also checked FW and Defender. Does not appear to be either causing the problem. Seeing someone else having the exact same issue though does at least give me some sense there was a change in or bug in the 1803 OS that is causing this. As I said, after rolling back to 1709 everything worked fine again. This is a show stopper in our shop for now.

Dan Bartley

Monday, May 7, 2018 2:36 PM
  • Hi,

I have exactly the same problem.

Running an app from a network drive, can't connect via odbc. If I copy the executable to local pc, everything works fine. I  have this problem connecting to Oracle and to SQL Server.

However, I've tried to replicate the problem in my own PC with 1803 update, and everything works fine.

I've had a similar problem last november: the shared drive was unavailable when accessing from my pc. This happened after an windows update. Resolved it with:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\LanmanWorkstation]
    "AllowInsecureGuestAuth"=dword:00000001

This key doesn't show in PC's with the problem. I am now waiting for feedback from my costumers...

Monday, May 7, 2018 2:37 PM
  • @all,

Thanks for reporting this problem. I'm trying to see if I can report it from my internal channel.

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 7:07 AM
  • We have the same problem. After updating on a workstation to 1803 we can not work with accounting program via ODBC + MSSQL server.

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 2:34 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  We run our shop MRP system from the server with SQL server on the back end.  Up until version 1803, all workstations run the application and all worked.   I can establish an ODBC connection through control panel but when I run the application off of the server from a mapped drive I get an error that it cannot find or connect to the SQL database. 

• Edited by SEGlascoe Wednesday, May 9, 2018 3:28 PM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 4:05 PM
  • Is this an SMBv1 share?

Try reactivating the SMB feature. Since 1709 windows is deactivating SMBv1 by default. (This is actually a good step by microsoft but as always very poorly communicated)

Best regards,

MicroBro

• Edited by Microbro Wednesday, May 9, 2018 6:54 PM name
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 4:10 PM
  • I went in and made sure that SMB was enabled under Windows features and it is.

smb 1.0/cifs file sharing support

smb 1.0/cifs client

smb 1.0/cifs server

these are all checked.

Also, I did a fresh install (not update) on the 1803 version and still same problem.

• Edited by SEGlascoe Tuesday, May 8, 2018 4:25 PM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 4:23 PM
  • @SEGlascoe

OK too bad:( for me this was the problem on a couple of customer machines after the update.

But I still have the same problem as OP described on 200 other machines with a custom application. ( I guess we wont update in next couple of days)

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 4:43 PM
  • @all,

Thanks for reporting this problem. I'm trying to see if I can report it from my internal channel.

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact

Do you have any further info for us ?

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 4:45 PM
  • We are having the same Problem too. Our insurance-software works with Oracle Database 12c.
    After Update to Windows 10 1803 it's not possible to start our software from a net-share or network location.
    Connect to the Database failed.
    If we start the application from a local drive it's no problem.
    Is there any solution?

M.Hermann

SOLUTION:

I Solved the Problem by activating SMB2 on Windows 2008 R2 Server where the netshare is located.
    If SMB2 is not activated, the Clients uses SMB 1.5 and its not possible to connect the Oracle-Database and run our application when Windows Update 1803 is installed.
    After activating SMB 2 on the Windows 2008 R2 Server, i check the used SMB Version on the Win 10 -client by Powershell ( get-smbconnection). It shows now SMB2.1 and our Application is running.

M.Hermann

• Proposed as answer by M.Hermann Monday, May 14, 2018 8:14 AM
    • Edited by M.Hermann Monday, May 14, 2018 8:35 AM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 8:33 AM
  • We have the same problem,

When I execute software from our NAS, the program can't connect to sql server.

If I start  the same application from a windows server 2012 shared folder, It works with no problem.

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 3:15 PM
  • We have the same problem,

When I execute software from our NAS, the program can't connect to sql server.

If I start  the same application from a windows server 2012 shared folder, It works with no problem.

Same problem here...

Apps from NAS cant connect to SQL Server... if we move app file to same server as SQL Server, work with no problems...

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 3:44 PM
  • I fixed it!!

Windows (after update 1803) is blocking Network connections from executables that are started from a network share using SMBv1.

We were using SMB 1.5 on our network drives and our Application did not run. The same application is running fine on SMB 3.1.

To find out which SMB Version you are using fire up a PowerShell in Admin and run "Get-SmbConnection".

I guess you need anything higher than 2.0 .

Now of to updating 20 Linux Servers :( .

Best regards,

MicroBro

PS.: Vote if this helped you :)

• Proposed as answer by Microbro Wednesday, May 9, 2018 6:56 PM
    • Edited by Microbro Thursday, May 10, 2018 8:32 AM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 6:54 PM
  • @MicroBro

Hey, how do I get SMB 3.1?  I Have 1.0 enabled under Windows features.  

Thanks

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 9:53 PM
  • @MicroBro

Hey, how do I get SMB 3.1?  I Have 1.0 enabled under Windows features.  

Thanks

This has nothing to do with your client settings. You need to change this setting on your fileserver.
    Thursday, May 10, 2018 6:18 AM
  • @MicroBro

It's correct.

We have a Windows Server 2003 R2 where we have some application that use Oracle connection.

If we try to start the application from network doesn't start. If we run the same application from a share on another Widows 10 PC the application run.
    Question: is it possible (with regedit or local/domain policy) solve this issue without remove 1803 update?

Thanks 

Thursday, May 10, 2018 9:19 AM
  • @Microbro

Thanks but our server is an older server running Windows 2003 Server and SQL 2005 so I guess that won't be possible to use SMB 3.1.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 9:38 AM
  • @Roberto Teruzzi

2003 reached END OF LIFE long ago and unfortunatley I dont have a solution other than changing the SMB version.

( I would love a simpler solution too :) )

Best regards,

MicroBro

Thursday, May 10, 2018 10:19 AM
  • @SEGlascoe

See my other post further up. 2003 reached EOL long ago and there is no support for higher SMB versions.

I guess you have to change to a different OS or maybe get a cheap NAS until MS comes up with a fix if this is a mission critical application ?

• Edited by Microbro Thursday, May 10, 2018 10:26 AM
    Thursday, May 10, 2018 10:22 AM
  • @Microbro

That's what I figured.  It is our ERP System that runs from this Windows 2003 server so yes, it is.  However, I have postponed all updates to newer versions of Windows 10 until and/or if they get a fix.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 11:26 AM
  • @MicroBro

Thank you for sharing that information. This is exactly the nature of the problem in our organization.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 12:58 PM
  • Hi,

The momentary solution is to uninstall the last update of windows 1803, go to configuration and recovery, return to the previous version of windows. Then in Windows Update pause the updates and for now it will work again.
    Luck!!

Thursday, May 10, 2018 4:31 PM
  • We have de same problem with database conections when the EXE file is in a network drive located on a Windows Server 2003 server. But there is something new: the problem not only appears usign ODBC data sources. Using ADO connections, that don't use ODBC data sources, the problem appears as well.

I suppose this doesn't shine new light on the problem, since it seems to be independent. The source of the problem is the executable loading from a Windows 2003 (SMB1) server.

Friday, May 11, 2018 7:17 AM
  • I have what is the same problem except that I use wininet via API to call FTP transfers.  My servers are also not Windows server, they are NAs devices.  I have the same problem on 2 separate sites.   One site has a mixture of 1803 update and not.  The updated machines no longer work, all others do.  Also if my software is run locally it works on all versions.

The issue is not SMBs or server settings, it's application permissions when run from a server drive as opposed to locally.

Traditionally problems like this would be solved by adding the server to 'local intranet' in internet exploere security settings.  Not this time however.

I'm stumped... help !!

Sunday, May 13, 2018 1:56 PM
  • I've tried logging in as a local user, and via a Microsoft account.  No difference.
    Sunday, May 13, 2018 2:06 PM
  • Update - after trying the same code on a different server, it all works.  My original NAS is somewhat out of date, just like my customers.  So the problem would seem to be out of date servers !   The NAS I was using was an Iomega StorCenter ix2-200 which has not been supported for a while now i.e. no firmware updates etc.

The same code runs ok on a new equivalent of the same server.

Sunday, May 13, 2018 7:32 PM
  • i have same problem, executable running from smbv1 share cant acces network (error something like network error: invalid argument)
    it could by putty.exe, program in c# ....

but there is on strange thing, when i install avast antivirus, then everything is ok (=i can use executable from smbv1)
    Monday, May 14, 2018 10:23 PM
  • you are pointing something.
    I have the same issue , that is running an exe from a SMB1 network share
    Since windows 10 1803 update the sql server access was filtered that way
    but on one PC it was working. this one runs Avast as well.

so I did a fresh installation of 1803, manually enabled SMB1 in windows with 
    dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:SMB1Protocol-Server
    and SQL access was not working

I then installed avast latest free version
    and it worked!

Additionnaly I uninstalled Avast.. and blocked again

so ... I look on Defender firewall to add the application in the list , disabled defender but no way to succeed yet

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 2:01 PM
  • Unfortunately I am like many here stuck with some very old servers. One of those being used for the application share (2003) in my original post. Upgrading is not an option at this time. It would be nice to at least have the option to enable 1.5 support in 1803 for those of us with very restricted IT budgets.

Dan Bartley

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 3:15 PM
  • Upgrading fileserver IS NOT A SOLUTION.

We have dozen of clients using windows2k3 even if it is tagged as EOL.

With build 1803 our application stopped working and this bug (it's definetly a bug!) has caused us very big annoyances.

- Gianluca Carta

• Proposed as answer by SEGlascoe Tuesday, May 15, 2018 6:53 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by SEGlascoe Tuesday, May 15, 2018 6:53 PM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 5:32 PM
  • Okay, I got it working.  I had to uninstall Symantec.Cloud Antivirus, disable Windows Defender Antivirus, then install the free AVG Antivirus.  Now my ODBC connection to Windows 2003 Server and SQL Server 2005 running my network application on the SMB1.5 server works.  So, it must be something in the Windows Defender Antivirus and the Symantec.Cloud Small Business Edition.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 6:55 PM

With build 1803 our application stopped working and this bug (it's definetly a bug!) has caused us very big annoyances.

- Gianluca Carta

Agreed, we need to have the option to enable the SMB 1.5 support in 1803.

Dan Bartley

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 8:55 PM
  • Has anyone tried this method to see if it will enable 1.5 in the 1803 build?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2696547/how-to-detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-smbv2-and-smbv3-in-windows-and

Dan Bartley

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 8:59 PM
  • Here is what we've found so far:

https://blog.mertech.com/windows-10-version-1803-breaks-some-shared-folder-applications

Some good comments in here as well from others doing testing.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:27 PM
  • you can enable SMB1 using dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:SMB1Protocol-Server

this is required on a fresh 1803 install to access a win2003 network share

but it doesn't solve the network access being filtered running an exe from this share

Nicolas Casas

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 6:32 AM
  • I have SMB1.5 enabled.  It has something to do with Windows Defender Antivirus and Symantec Small Business Edition and probably others.  I can disable the Windows Defender and install AVG or Avast and running the network executable for our MRP software will run again.  I have contacted Symantec.  Even with Windows Defender Antivirus disabled, using Symantec Small Business edition causes the same problem.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 1:30 PM
  • I have SMB1.5 enabled.  It has something to do with Windows Defender Antivirus and Symantec Small Business Edition and probably others.  I can disable the Windows Defender and install AVG or Avast and running the network executable for our MRP software will run again.  I have contacted Symantec.  Even with Windows Defender Antivirus disabled, using Symantec Small Business edition causes the same problem.

since AVG and AVAST are nearly the same product and share the same engine we can assume they use a specific way to bypass the internal windows security. 

Kaspersky Free has no firewall included and does not correct the issue
    I just tested with "Comodo Firewall Free" and it worked

The cause seems to be win1803 internal firewall stack, that even disabled is still filtering this.

Nicolas

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 2:25 PM
  • Tested also with "Comodo Firewall Free" and "Avast" and it worked, too with both!

thx Nicolas!

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 3:14 PM
  • I really don't think it is the Windows firewall because I installed AVG Antivirus and used Windows Firewall and was able to connect.  I think it's something in the various other Antivirus Engines that is blocking.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 3:41 PM
  • There is something wrong with Windows Firewall and/or Windows Defender because if you DON'T install AVG Antivirus, Avast Antivirus or Comodo Firewall, you can't access to a SQL server thru ODBC connections (SQL Server 2005 running on a WinServer 2008R2 in my case). But after installing AVG or Avast or Comodo Firewall I can connect normally.

So the problem is present when no other than Windows Defender and/or Windows Firewall is protecting (managing) network traffic.

If it's not a bug it's very very close to one!

• Edited by GPonceMDP Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:58 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:33 PM
  • The IT company that oversees our work PC's uses Bitdefender as both an antivirus program and firewall on most of the computers in my office (one or two still have Windows Defender). We haven't been able to get our Oracle based program on our 2003 Server to open after the (1803) update (either on PCs with Bitdefender nor the one or two still using Windows Defender).

If the problem lies with Windows Defender and firewall, why won't the program work on the PCs running Bitdefender antivirus/firewall? The program opened the day before the (1803) update on those PCs.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 2:33 PM
  • The IT company that oversees our work PC's uses Bitdefender as both an antivirus program and firewall on most of the computers in my office (one or two still have Windows Defender). We haven't been able to get our Oracle based program on our 2003 Server to open after the (1803) update (either on PCs with Bitdefender nor the one or two still using Windows Defender).

If the problem lies with Windows Defender and firewall, why won't the program work on the PCs running Bitdefender antivirus/firewall? The program opened the day before the (1803) update on those PCs.

Because it depends on how the program treat the connections between server-client, please try one of those solutions I've mentioned before: AVG, Avast or Comodo Firewall. We (at the company that I work for) have ESET Antivirus licensed (more than 60 licences) and it DOESN'T work too as solution. :(

Try and comment!

Thursday, May 17, 2018 2:57 PM
  • @GPonceMDP

Our company has 25 Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition as our antivirus/internet/firewall.  We have been using this since Windows 10 was released.  It worked fine up until the 1803 update.  I have uninstalled on my workstation the Symantec product and set Windows Firewall as my firewall.  Then I installed Avast Free as the antivirus and "boom" all worked again.  So if it works with Avast, AVG, Comodo Firewall, why can't it work with these other products?  I have contacted and opened up a case with Symantec but they aren't probably going to do much because of the Windows 2003 Server no longer being supported.  I will keep all posted.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:32 PM
  • Imho, av's/fw's software house has nothing to fix.

It's a Microsoft Windows Defender Bug..and so it's up to MS to correct the problem.

• Proposed as answer by tibb Monday, May 21, 2018 4:20 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 4:19 PM
  • @GPonceMDP,

Apologies for doubting. After getting the "okay" from the IT company, I uninstalled Bitdefender and installed Avast on my work PC. When I attempted to open the program, Avast scanned it for suspicious activity, and after a few seconds, Avast declared it safe and the program opened right up.

• Edited by KMICD Thursday, May 17, 2018 4:56 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 4:54 PM
  • Yes, AVG fixed the issue of SQL server connectivity. Win 10 to Win 2003 R2. Trying to discover if it can be done without AVG by disabling Win Def in the registry. No luck so far.
    Friday, May 18, 2018 8:29 AM
  • Yes, AVG fixed the issue of SQL server connectivity. Win 10 to Win 2003 R2. Trying to discover if it can be done without AVG by disabling Win Def in the registry. No luck so far.
    Yes, I've tried to "disable" Win Def with the same results: no way to achieve the connection. Is MS not "disabling" all as he claims when we "disable" Win Def Protection?????  hehehehehe!
    Friday, May 18, 2018 11:11 AM
  • IF these free products such as AVG and Avast and probably others can work around this, then you would think the other programs such as Symantec / Norton could do the same.  Our Symantec licenses come up for renewal in July.  If they can't get around this then it looks as if we will start purchasing AVG or Avast licenses.  
    Friday, May 18, 2018 12:09 PM
  • Some News...

Last Week (~14/15May)  - My PC with 1803 can not conect to SQL over Network share using SMBv1.5

Now - My PC with 1803 can conect to SQL over Network share using SMBv1.5, without doing anything, maybe new update to enable SMB 1.5 or 1.x??

EDIT:

some teammate do downgrade to 1709 ... forget it please

Monday, May 21, 2018 9:21 AM
  • Some News...

Last Week (~14/15May)  - My PC with 1803 can not conect to SQL over Network share using SMBv1.5

Now - My PC with 1803 can conect to SQL over Network share using SMBv1.5, without doing anything, maybe new update to enable SMB 1.5 or 1.x??

Has your build number increased from the release build number?

Dan Bartley

Monday, May 21, 2018 1:53 PM
  • So...I'll add my Windows 1803 update -> SQL connection issue. Windows 10 with SQL 2008 R2. SQL Server Machine updated to 1803 then no SQL client could connect to run application either on 1709 or 1803. Working with support we went in to HOSTS file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc). edited the HOSTS file to add IP address of the windows 10 SQL server. Made sure firewalls turned off. Connected no problem.  Very strange because I can see server in the network file explorer AND can map a drive to the share of the sql server box. I did install the SMB 1.1 windows 10 add ons BEFORE editing HOSTS so I don't know if it works without installing that. Certainly not a great solution if you have 100's of machines. Just happy there was a fix beyond rollback.  
    Monday, May 21, 2018 2:18 PM
  • Some News...

Has your build number increased from the release build number?

Dan Bartley

So I checked and there is a cumulative update. Brings it from 17134.1 to 17134.48. I was hopeful based on this post about it suddenly working. So I reinstalled my test machine and tried the SQL app from a network share on 2003 server and it is still the same problem. The cumulative update did not fix the problem.

I have no doubt MS is well aware of this issue and wish they would give some info on what their intention is since it was not fixed in this update. I sense a "by design" answer coming.

Dan Bartley

Monday, May 21, 2018 7:10 PM
  • @ Dan Bartley

Well, If AVG and Avast can work around this, then I think other Security / Antivirus programs can as well.  I have the same issue and we use Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition.  I uninstalled that and downloaded Avast Antivirus, installed it and everything worked again.  

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 4:27 PM
  • So I've been following this thread for about week since the 1803 stopped our ERP system (OMD on Server 2003) from being accessible. We use Webroot Antivirus. After trying many combinations of the above suggestions, here is what we got to work today on multiple PC's:

-Enable SMBv1 if it's not already

-Disable Windows Defender Firewall

-Disable/uninstall Webroot

-Install AVG Antivirus Free

-Open OMD

-Reboot

-Re-enable Windows Defender Firewall

-Re-enable/reinstall Webroot

Strangely, after all is said and done, the only difference on the PC is the presence of AVG. While I'm not a fan of having 2 AV's installed simultaneously, this will have to do until our new ERP system goes live at the end of the year. 

• Edited by speedtek Tuesday, May 22, 2018 5:47 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 5:46 PM

- Gianluca Carta

We have almost 200 customers with Win 2003, MS can't force all of them to change OS: they're almost all small business with very limited budget! Some of them are schools, and schools in Italy have so much money nowadays that parents must pay even for the toilet paper. And the 8000 italian Townhalls, then, what will they do? The vast majority of them are in small towns where the townhall has very little money, if any, to spend on IT. And since installing another Antivirus fixex the issue, and we can't tell all of these guys to install AVG on all of their CLIENT computers, why doesn't microsoft release a patch? I'm almost sure it's as trivial as a simple registry key. Come on, microsoft, stop this

• Edited by VilliBern Wednesday, May 23, 2018 2:18 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 9:06 AM
  • Hello Dan,

I suspect something changed after you update your OS however it's hard to guess the reason. Can you check the firewall and the windows defender first? That would be the first thing that I would try.

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support

@Microsoft

• Are you aware of this problem?
    • Did you disable this functionality on purpose?
    • Is there a way to disable your "security" measures ? (Iam aware of the exploits for SMBv1&2)
    • Are you working on a solution ?

My Company is spending 5 digits on MS Licenses every year and non of your employees has even remotely talked about this topic. (We are at 10k views on this post)

What is going on? How can a company as big as yours, communicate changes as big as this, which influence mission critical applications in hunderts of business, so poorly ?

Best regards,

MicroBro

• Edited by Microbro Thursday, May 24, 2018 3:34 PM formating
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 10:54 AM
  • Installing Avast solved the problem for me, but I don't want to use it as a definitive solution. The company I work for has more than 500 customers in my country. Imagine if all their machines updates to W10 1803. I cannot ask them to install a third party software or buy a new "server" because their current machine/OS is obsolete, as a solution.

Microsoft need to solve this ASAP! This is a major issue caused by a mandatory OS upgrade. Every single developer in the world that works with databases could be affected by this issue. Most of the customers won't even understand what is going on and the fault will fall on the companies' back.

If I have to tell the customers to upgrade their servers or install something, I prefer to suggest a downgrade to Windows 7 to get rid of these kind of bugs....

Thursday, May 24, 2018 1:15 PM

• They have been informed, and said they're working on it. Let's cross fingers and buy a book about Linux

This is a hot issue, please waiting for the subsequent update.

Thank you for understanding.

Best Regards,

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4ff02992-bd05-4fc4-bdaa-8ecfee368df3/after-ugrade-windows-10-pro-from-ver1709-to-1803-our-erp-system-cannot-connect-sql-server?forum=win10itproapps

Friday, May 25, 2018 7:17 AM
  • On our side, we definitely solved the problem.

1) Disabled SMB V1 and enabled SMB V2/V3 on each computer/server involved into network share and SQL connections issues. Instructions here. Don't forget to reboot every machine after changes.

2) Then we still encountered random SQL connections results. We solved that by modifying the SQL connection string : replacing the server name by its fixed IP address. No more SQL connections issues.

Hope this helps.

Denis

• Proposed as answer by Denis_TDG Saturday, May 26, 2018 10:11 AM
    Saturday, May 26, 2018 10:11 AM
  • @Denis_TDG

That works if you are using Windows Server 2008 or above.  However, a lot of these companies are still using Windows Serve 2003 which doesn't have the SMB v2/v3.

As I stated before, the computers that are using AVG or Avast are not having the issue.  They still can connect.  It's others such as my system that uses Symantec Endpoint Protection that are having these issues.  If Avast and AVG and probably others can work, then these others can too with a patch.  Maybe a patch from Microsoft and/or these other Antivirus Security components as well.

Saturday, May 26, 2018 11:59 AM
  • On our side, we definitely solved the problem.

1) Disabled SMB V1 and enabled SMB V2/V3 on each computer/server involved into network share and SQL connections issues. Instructions here. Don't forget to reboot every machine after changes.

2) Then we still encountered random SQL connections results. We solved that by modifying the SQL connection string : replacing the server name by its fixed IP address. No more SQL connections issues.

Hope this helps.

Denis

Thanks Denis for guidelines, additionally I have to enter SQL Server Alias for my connection on client PC.

For those who still have SQL connection issue, try to go \Windows\SysWOW64\cliconfg.exe do enable both protocols (PIPES and TCP/IP) and under alias add your server alias (to look up your pipe name for a named instance go to: SQL Server Configuration Manager - Network Configuration - Protocols - Named Pipes.).

I hope this will help someone.

• Edited by mpasic87 Monday, May 28, 2018 8:20 AM
    Monday, May 28, 2018 8:19 AM
  • We have this issue with Firebird database connections failing using JDBC with the 1803. It is also happening on the command line isql.exe when connecting using a hostname. Using an ip address does work around the issue. We have had no luck with enabling/disabling various SMB versions. Unfortunately using an IP address means having to set machines with static IP addresses. Unfortunately with many 100s of sites each with a couple of machines this isn't going to be viable.

Using a hostname in the \etc\driver\hosts file also works (again need a static ip)

In the cases where it isn't connecting, the address isn't resolvable by DNS. They are being discovered (netbios?). Ping hostname works, nslookup does not. Note this is expected behavior pre and post 1803.

I've noticed if you just keep retying (maybe 50 times) it will eventually connect, but then the next connect is just as likely to fail

We really need a better fix for this rather than a bad workaround.

• Edited by DataScorpion Wednesday, May 30, 2018 3:53 AM add clarification
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 3:48 AM
  • @ seg64

Hello,

In your case maybe the opposite solution (re-enable SMB V1 on Win10 machines) would be an option ? I had to do that 2 days ago ;-)

Denis

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 8:59 AM
  • @DataScorpion

Hello,

I do no use static IP on every single computer but only on the database server (which is a good practice whatever the purprose of a server).

Then use this static IP address in your connection string/parameters on your stations.

Moreover I am under the impression that using an IP address to connect a database from a Win10 1803 computer is only solving random/slow connection issues where your network infrastructure do not contain an AD server which rely on DNS to solve hostnames. We did not encounter this kind of problems on networks with an AD server in place.

KR,

Denis

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 9:07 AM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem, SQL Server 2005 on Windows Server 2003, with programs shared on Windows 2003 server, and I enabled Named Pipes on my SQL Server and the aplications start to work...

Best regards,

Thursday, June 7, 2018 2:42 PM
  • What makes the difference is not AVG itselft , but a FSFilter driver it loads . The filter is "avgSnx.sys" .
    I had no time track what it does but surely it changes in some way the request on creating a handle to "Device\Afd\Endpoint" that is called during socket creation and it fails on 1803 if file is loaded from SMBv1 share .

On a test machine i copied that driver and registered only it without full AVG install and all returned to work . I'm able to use sockets from exe loaded from SMBv1 network share .

Just in case someone want to try this temporary bypass in hope of a fix from MS , the files you need are "avgSnx.sys" ( correct version for 32 or 64 bit systems ) , a dll names snxhk.dll ( or snxhk64.dll for 64 bit ) , and creation of register entry :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\avgSnx]
    "Type"=dword:00000002
    "Start"=dword:00000001
    "ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
    "Tag"=dword:00000002
    "ImagePath"="\SystemRoot\system32\\drivers\\avgSnx.sys"
    "DisplayName"="avgSnx"
    "Group"="FSFilter Virtualization"
    "DependOnService"=hex(7):46,00,6c,00,74,00,4d,00,67,00,72,00,00,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\avgSnx\Instances]
    "DefaultInstance"="avgSnx Instance"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\avgSnx\Instances\avgSnx Instance]
    "Altitude"="137630"
    "Flags"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\avgSnx\Parameters]
    "ProgramFolder"="\\??\\C:\\Program\\Files\\AVG\\Antivirus"
    "DataFolder"="\\??\\C:\\ProgramData\\AVG\\Antivirus"

As you see from last registrer entry you also need to create those dirs :

C:\\Program Files\\AVG\\Antivirus

C:\\ProgramData\\AVG\\Antivirus

This should be all you need to make it work . Tested it on Win10 1803 with ESET AV already installed .

Hope this helps .

• Proposed as answer by Murray360 Monday, June 11, 2018 9:36 AM
    • Edited by Murray360 Monday, June 11, 2018 3:38 PM edit
    Monday, June 11, 2018 9:34 AM
  • @Murray360

Thank you!  I have done what you said and it works!  Hopefully, Microsoft and/or other Antivirus makers will issue a fix.   I am using Symantec Endpoint Protection and without this "fix" it doesn't work.

Thanks again!!!

Monday, June 11, 2018 2:15 PM
  • so this fixes a broken smbv1 share....

there's more to this though

we use firebird sql and a shared .exe and not all are blocked, and setting server and client to support smb v1 FIXES our issues

the systems that have/don't have the issue have no patterns, win10/ win2012 server, win10/ win10 server, win7 /win2012 server

the firebird/interbase support is on fire with issues, and yes, AVG fixes those as well

very iritating

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 7:32 PM
  • I wonder if it's possible to use 1708's FSfilter driver? Maybe it's just the way AVG's driver plays with the updated defender/firewall? This is great fix compared to actually installing AVG/AVast/commodo attempting it now.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2018 9:38 PM
  • https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/4284835/windows-10-update-kb4284835

"Known issues in this update"

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 7:48 AM
  • June 26, 2018—KB4284848 (OS Build 17134.137)

This patch released today fixed the issue on my system running a shared executable SQL program on our Windows 2003 server using the SMB1.0

• Proposed as answer by Nicolas Casas Wednesday, June 27, 2018 7:10 AM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 5:24 PM
  • Thanks! I will try and see what happens on our test machine

Dan Bartley

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 6:41 PM
  • I can confirm KB4284848 fixed my 2 test machines for the issue I originally posted about. SQL app now runs from a server 2003 share and file shares still work from a 2003 server. No changes with AV, still using Windows Defender. Thanks MS

Dan Bartley

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 4:21 PM
  • I confirm, it looks like it is fixed. After today's update it can now access the EXE on an older server and NAS shared drive. SQL now has no problem.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 5:30 PM
  • Yes, Our problem fixed this patch;

https://support.microsoft.com/tr-tr/help/4284848/windows-10-update-kb4284848

Thursday, June 28, 2018 8:47 AM
  • June 26, 2018—KB4284848 (OS Build 17134.137)

This patch released today fixed the issue on my system running a shared executable SQL program on our Windows 2003 server using the SMB1.0

Yes, this KB is the real deal :)

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 9:19 AM