State transition diagrams in UML Modeling Projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, all.

I'm trying to make an UML state transition diagram in a Modeling Project, but I can't find this functionality.

Is this diagram not supported in VS Modeling Projects? Why?

I was looking this document https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd409436.aspx and this diagram is not included.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards

• Moved by John Qiao Tuesday, July 14, 2015 2:19 AM
    Monday, July 13, 2015 6:16 PM

Answers

• Hi ajdPC,

I test it in VS2010 and VS2013, it doesn't have the UML state transition diagram in a Modeling Project.

But one idea is that we could generate a state machine from the build-in class diagram in VS 2010 RTM using T4 Templates.

Reference:

Generating a State Machine from VS2010 UML Diagrams

We could get the detailed steps here:

https://halllowelt.wordpress.com/2010/03/25/automatically-generating-states-with-vs2010-uml-tools-and-t4/

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.

Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites;

Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 4:14 AM

All replies

• Hi AjdPC,  

Thanks for your post.

It seems this issue not relate to TFS, I moved it to VS General forum for the better response.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by John Qiao Tuesday, July 14, 2015 2:19 AM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2015 2:19 AM
  • Hi ajdPC,

I test it in VS2010 and VS2013, it doesn't have the UML state transition diagram in a Modeling Project.

But one idea is that we could generate a state machine from the build-in class diagram in VS 2010 RTM using T4 Templates.

Reference:

Generating a State Machine from VS2010 UML Diagrams

We could get the detailed steps here:

https://halllowelt.wordpress.com/2010/03/25/automatically-generating-states-with-vs2010-uml-tools-and-t4/

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.

Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites;

Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 4:14 AM