Expression Web 1 to Expression Web 3 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I am new to this forum so please bear with me. I started out using Front Page years back and then changed to Expression Web1. I just upgraded to Expression Web 3 skipping Expression Web 2. In learning Expression Web 3 I am running into some problems with one of my websites that was first designed in FrontPage and then re-done in Expression Web 1. Expression Web 3 is having problems with code that seems to be a carry over from FrontPage. Is there a way to update the website pages in Expression 3 without having to re-design the entire website which has a lot of linked pages?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give me,

Michael
    Monday, December 7, 2009 5:55 PM

Answers

• Michael,

You can certainly take a site developed in FrontPage and make the code standards-compliant. Most people who begin such an endeavor do so because it seems like it would be less work. Once you start on that road, however, you'll soon find that it's usually a lot less work to just start from scratch. When new users to Expression Web hear someone say that, the first thought is one of disbelief. That disbelief quickly fades once you start trying to update your site.

My strong recommendation is that you use this as an opportunity to redesign and refresh your site and bring it up to current Web standards.

Jim Cheshire
    Jimco Software and Books
    jimcosoftware.com
    jimcobooks.com

Author of:
    Microsoft Expression Web 3 In Depth and many other books on Web design, ASP.NET, and the Amazon Kindle.

Pop-up Window Generator for Expression Web
    !!! Spawn for Expression Web on sale now for $2.50. Limited time only. !!!
    www.jimcosoftware.com/spawn

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 12:11 AM

All replies

• Expression Web 3 supports all the code carried over from FrontPage except code associated with VML graphics, and the Database Results and Database Interface wizards.

FrontPage navigation components are supported - but cannot be edited.

For VML and navigation - use FrontPage, or better, change to something more modern, standards compliant and cross browser.
    For Database functions, use Expression Web 1 or FrontPage.

For everything else carried over from Expression Web 1 or FrontPage - EW3 should not have problems.

What problem are you having?

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Monday, December 7, 2009 6:08 PM
  • Look in the top post in this forum labelled BEFORE POSTING.

There is a link in the Learning Resources section to a site with information for people who are converting websites from FP to standard HTML/CSS
    Monday, December 7, 2009 6:15 PM
  • We have fallen into the same trap except we have Frontpage 03, EW-2 and EW-3.  This is because it is not possible to edit some functions on FP based sites so we need to keep FP around. We need EW-2 because some of the solutions we had to use to fix the FP functions no longer supported in EW implemented with version 2 will not work with version 3 and we have some other issues with V-3.  

• Edited by surferbob Monday, December 7, 2009 11:23 PM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 10:45 PM
  • Post changed.

Monday, December 7, 2009 11:02 PM
  • Michael,

You can certainly take a site developed in FrontPage and make the code standards-compliant. Most people who begin such an endeavor do so because it seems like it would be less work. Once you start on that road, however, you'll soon find that it's usually a lot less work to just start from scratch. When new users to Expression Web hear someone say that, the first thought is one of disbelief. That disbelief quickly fades once you start trying to update your site.

My strong recommendation is that you use this as an opportunity to redesign and refresh your site and bring it up to current Web standards.

Jim Cheshire
    Jimco Software and Books
    jimcosoftware.com
    jimcobooks.com

Author of:
    Microsoft Expression Web 3 In Depth and many other books on Web design, ASP.NET, and the Amazon Kindle.

Pop-up Window Generator for Expression Web
    !!! Spawn for Expression Web on sale now for $2.50. Limited time only. !!!
    www.jimcosoftware.com/spawn

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 12:11 AM
  • Which is exactly why I created the "Basic Video" tutorial over on http://by-expression.com which shows you how to create a new site that is up to current standards (and works in IE8 as well as older browsers something FP sites don't always do). It was created with FP users in mind.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com and online instructor led Expression Classes
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 1:14 AM
  • Bada bing.

Jim
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 1:15 AM